Is Florida on hook for $200 million to help feds finish Lake O dike?

A Trump administration budget that appears to commit Florida to paying $200 million to expedite repairs on the Herbert Hoover Dike has some lawmakers scratching their heads and others critical of a project they said should be paid for with federal dollars.

Reconstruction of the aging dike, an earthen barrier holding back Lake Okeechobee from flooding Glades-area communities, is a $96 million line item in President Donald Trump’s fiscal year 2019 budget released this week.

The president highlights it as an “innovative partnership” with Florida that will provide another $66 million in federal dollars if the state ponies up $50 million on top of the $50 million Florida lawmakers approved during the 2017 legislative session for dike repairs.

SEE: Check The Palm Beach Post radar map

Gov. Rick Scott, who personally lobbied Trump for dike money during a New Year’s Eve event at the president’s Mar-a-Lago Club on Palm Beach, heralded the payment plan in a statement released Monday.

“President Trump’s budget announcement today is great news for Florida and solidifies his commitment to me to secure the federal funding needed for critically important repairs to the federally operated Herbert Hoover Dike,” he said.

Related: 1928 hurricane survivor recals long night.

But a footnote in the Army Corps of Engineers’ budget also says Florida’s total commitment is “to provide $200 million.” Where that number came from seemed a mystery Tuesday.

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., who is expecting Scott to challenge him this fall for his Senate seat, called the commitment “absurd.”

WEATHER INSIDER: Like this story? Want more? Sign up for our newsletter

“Floridians shouldn’t have to pay a dime to finish the dike,” Nelson said in a statement. “Congress just gave the Army Corps all the money it needs to fully fund this project and get it done by 2022.”

On Friday, Trump signed into law a $10.4 billion allocation for disaster assistance and Army Corps of Engineers projects that Nelson, and U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., asked in a joint letter be used to pay for all of the remaining dike construction.

“As you know, the dike remains listed as Dam Safety Action Classification I, meaning it is at imminent risk of failure and poses a serious threat to lives and property,” the letter said.

U.S. Rep. Brian Mast, R-Palm City, agreed Tuesday that the $10.4 billion should pay for expedited dike repairs.

“As far as we’re concerned, Congress has already given the Army Corps all the money it needs to get the project done without Florida contributing any additional money,” Mast’s communications director, Brad Stewart, wrote in an email.

Download the Palm Beach Post WeatherPlus app here.

Corps spokesman John Campbell said Tuesday afternoon he was still trying to find out how the $200 million made it into the Corps’ budget document and what it means.

But Scott’s office issued a statement late Tuesday questioning any demand for $200 million.

“Contrary to what some members of Congress are claiming, the federal government has not asked Florida to commit $200 million towards this federal project. That claim is absurd,” said the statement from Communications Director John Tupps.

Since 2005, the Corps has spent about $940 million on improvements to the 143-mile dike, whose construction dates to the 1930s. To speed up repairs so they are completed by 2022, the Corps would need an estimated $200 million per year, including $212 million in the fiscal year 2019 budget.

Last year, Scott asked Florida lawmakers for $200 million to expedite dike repairs. The Legislature approved $50 million. He is making another $50 million request this year.

“For decades, Congress has failed to address this critical project,” said Scott’s press secretary, Lauren Schenone, in a statement. “Governor Scott is the first governor in history to fight for state funding to jump-start the critical repairs to the federally operated Herbert Hoover Dike.”

The additional money has the support of Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart, and House Speaker Richard Corcoran, R-Land O’Lakes, who lauded the request following an October announcement.

On Tuesday, Negron spokeswoman Katherine Betta said he still supports the additional $50 million for a total Florida commitment of $100 million.

“He certainly would remain open to additional funds in future years if needed to ensure this project is completed and communities near Lake Okeechobee are protected,” Betta said.

Concern over the dike’s ability to contain Lake Okeechobee was heightened last fall after a wet summer and September’s Hurricane Irma left the lake level at 17.2 feet above sea level. The Corps, which prefers to keep the lake between 12.5 and 15.5 feet above sea level, begins daily inspections of the dike’s vulnerable south side at 17 feet.

If you haven’t yet, join Kim on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter .

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Weather

Cold front conjures lightning and hail, chilly temps ahead
Cold front conjures lightning and hail, chilly temps ahead

The worst of Tuesday’s weather stayed just north of Palm Beach County, but that doesn’t mean people weren’t treated to an incredible lightning storm as the cold front moved into South Florida. Lightning strikes ahead of a cold front moving into the region in West Palm Beach, Florida, March 20, 2018. (Greg Lovett / ...
Storms threaten South Florida before cool down this week
Storms threaten South Florida before cool down this week

Winter’s grip slips away today as the sun silently crosses the celestial equator, but spring may march in on a drum roll of thunderstorms attached to a sure-footed cold front. The front, which is expected to approach South Florida during late afternoon and early evening, comes with a potential for severe weather, including damaging winds, hail...
Storms, possible tornado ravage parts of metro Atlanta
Storms, possible tornado ravage parts of metro Atlanta

A powerful storm system swept through north Georgia overnight, sending trees into roads, damaging homes and businesses, knocking out power to thousands and leaving south Fulton County a disaster zone. More than 130 severe weather reports of large hail, damaging wind and possible tornadoes came in Monday, according to WSB-TV in Atlanta...
UPDATE: West Palm Beach hit 90 degrees, storms moving in after dark
UPDATE: West Palm Beach hit 90 degrees, storms moving in after dark

Update 8:10 p.m.: Some storms are moving into northern Palm Beach County that forecasters have identified as possibly severe. Radar image 8:09 p.m. Previous story: A storm system that sent tornadoes charging through Alabama overnight is hitting Florida today, bringing the potential for severe thunderstorms to Palm Beach County and the Treasure...
Spring 2018: 5 things to know about the vernal equinox
Spring 2018: 5 things to know about the vernal equinox

Spring is finally here with the arrival of the vernal equinox, as determined by people who base their seasons on the Earth’s position relative to the sun and stars. Here are five things to know: 1. What is it? During the vernal equinox, the sun shines directly on the equator, and the northern and southern hemispheres get exactly the same...
More Stories