A few early notes from the 15-minute media viewing portion of Thursday’s Hurricanes practice, the sixth of fall camp ...
* Linebacker Michael Pinckney was not working with the rest of the team while the media was allowed to watch practice. Along with Pinckney, fullback Michael Parrott also worked on the side.
While in full pads, Pinckney was on the side of the field getting some conditioning in -- was even seen planking -- with a trainer. The junior is expected to start at outside linebacker.
Coach Mark Richt will address the media following Thursday’s practice, so we’ll know more about Pinckney’s situation in a few hours.
* During drills, the Hurricanes ran through three receiver sets. The first string used was Ahmmon Richards and Lawrence Cager on the outside and Jeff Thomas in the slot.
Richards has his starting spot locked down, but Cager is battling with Mark Pope and Brian Hightower for the starting job on the outside opposite of the former Wellington standout. Thomas is competing with Mike Harley to be Miami’s starting slot receiver.
* With junior Michael Irvin II, who began fall camp as the starting tight end, out for the next four months after undergoing surgery to repair an MCL injury in his right knee, the tight end rotation used during the media viewing portion of practice was: sophomore Brian Polendey (first), freshman Brevin Jordan (second) and freshman Will Mallory (third).
But a reminder, take that for what it’s worth. The depth chart is expected to change after Saturday’s scrimmage. Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz reminded reporters that freshmen are placed with the backups at the start of camp, and everything will be re-evaluated following the first scrimmage. So, despite Polendey’s current place at the top of the tight end depth chart, Jordan and Mallory are still expected to get most of the snaps this season.
* Malik Rosier is still working as the Hurricanes’ starting quarterback, obviously. The depth chart remains the same behind him, too, with N’Kosi Perry (second), Cade Weldon (third) and Jarren Williams (fourth).
* Travis Homer and DeeJay Dallas are still practicing as the first- and second-string running backs, respectively. Freshman Lorenzo Lingard is getting reps as the third-team back.
* The Hurricanes began practicing in full pads Wednesday after going through the NCAA’s mandated five-day acclimatization period.
COVERAGE FROM DAY 5 OF FALL CAMP
COVERAGE FROM DAY 4 OF FALL CAMP
COVERAGE FROM DAY 3 OF FALL CAMP