Woman sues Michigan State, says Nassar raped her in 1992


A woman has filed a lawsuit against Michigan State University, saying she became pregnant after she was drugged and raped by Larry Nassar when he was a medical student in 1992 but that campus police refused to investigate.

The lawsuit was among dozens filed to meet a Monday deadline for legal claims against Michigan State, although the complaint might be too old to qualify for a share of $75 million set aside by the university for victims who aren't part of a larger $425 million settlement.

Nassar, 55, became a sports doctor at MSU and for elite U.S. gymnasts but now is in prison for child pornography crimes and molesting female athletes with his hands.

The woman said she had a knee injury as a 17-year-old field hockey player and was encouraged to go to Nassar in 1992 because he was conducting a study about flexibility through the College of Osteopathic Medicine. The lawsuit alleges that Nassar drugged her, raped her and videotaped the assault.

She said she became pregnant and had a miscarriage.

George Perles, who was athletic director until spring 1992, was aware of the assault and covered it up, and campus police wouldn't pursue it, according to the lawsuit. Perles also was football coach at the time and now is a member of the school's governing board. A message seeking comment was left for him.

"While the protocols and procedures mentioned in this lawsuit do not reflect how sexual assault claims are handled at MSU, we are taking the allegations very seriously and looking into the situation," Michigan State spokeswoman Emily Guerrant said Tuesday.

MSU police Chief Jim Dunlap said it's "nonsense" that the department would have refused to investigate because Perles or the athletic department was involved.

"It just doesn't happen. We just don't do things that way," said Dunlap, who was in the police department in 1992 but not the chief.

Merrily Dean Baker, who was athletic director after Perles, said she had "absolutely no knowledge" of the rape allegation at that time.

"I just think if this incident had been reported to the athletic department right before I started, I would have heard something about it," Baker told the Lansing State Journal.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Jessica Simpson pregnant with baby No. 3
Jessica Simpson pregnant with baby No. 3

Jessica Simpson and her husband, Eric Johnson, will be parents again for the third time. E! News reported the singer and fashion entrepreneur announced on Instagram Tuesday that they were having a baby girl. >> Read more trending news  “This little baby girl will make us a family of five,” the caption read. “We couldn&rsquo...
Gas pipeline pressure before explosions was 12 times higher than normal
Gas pipeline pressure before explosions was 12 times higher than normal

The investigation continues into the deadly natural gas line explosion near Boston and the U.S. senators who represent Massachusetts have sent a letter to the executives of the utility company in charge of that area saying the pressure in the lines was 12 times higher than it should have been, The Associated Press reported. Sens. Elizabeth Warren...
Julie Chen leaving 'The Talk' after husband Les Moonves leaves CBS, reports say
Julie Chen leaving 'The Talk' after husband Les Moonves leaves CBS, reports say

Television host and producer Julie Chen is leaving “The Talk,” CBS’s daytime talk show, following her husband Les Moonves’s resignation as CEO of the television network, according to multiple reports. It was not immediately clear when Chen planned to officially announce her departure. Citing an unidentified source, Page...
Rising golf star Celia Barquin Arozamena found dead on Iowa golf course
Rising golf star Celia Barquin Arozamena found dead on Iowa golf course

An up-and-coming golfer has been found dead, her body discovered on a golf course in Iowa.  Police found Celia Barquin Arozamena’s body was found Monday night at Coldwater Links golf course in Ames, Iowa, ABC News reported. >> Read more trending news  The discovery of Barquin Arozamena’s body came after golfers...
CNN's Anderson Cooper calls out Donald Trump Jr., debunks hurricane meme
CNN's Anderson Cooper calls out Donald Trump Jr., debunks hurricane meme

Atlanta-based CNN is often dismissed as "fake news" by President Donald Trump and his supporters. Seeking to prove their point, some right-wing meme creators found a photo of Anderson Cooper in waist-deep floodwater, claiming he was exaggerating and staging shots during Hurricane Florence.  But the photo was from 2008...
More Stories