Why did Riviera axe city manager? No one, including him, seems to know


In surprise 3-2 vote Riviera Beach council fires new city manager without explanation

Days after he led Riviera Beach through its Hurricane Irma preparations and recovery, a 3-2 majority of the city council fired new City Manager Jonathan E. Evans without explanation or discussion.

Late in the Sept. 20 council meeting, council member Terence Davis moved to fire Evans for what he said were performance reasons and council members Dawn Pardo and Lynne Hubbard agreed.

None of the three has explained why, then or since. They did not return calls from The Palm Beach Post.

The unscheduled, untelevised, unexplained vote, after discussion of the city budget ended and many in the audience had left, disturbed Chairwoman KaShamba Miller-Anderson, Chair Pro Tem Tonya Davis Johnson, Mayor Thomas Masters and Evans, they all said.

Under Florida law, city council members are not allowed to discuss council business among themselves outside of an official meeting.

“For them to be able to render a decision based on ‘misfeasance’ and not knowing what the misfeasance is, certainly was kind of interesting to me,” Evans said Friday. “The other thing is, I was never afforded the opportunity to rebut whatever the misfeasance was.”

The decision “reeked” and was all about “personal agendas,” Miller-Anderson said at the meeting. “He was the best city manager that we’ve had and seen in a very long time…. It has nothing to do with his performance.”

Davis Johnson said she had no insights as to why the firing took place.

“I just believe our taxpayers and our employees and those we do business with deserve a stable municipal government. That type of action certainly does not lend itself to stability,” she said.

She said she knew of no problems with Evans’ performance on the job. The council and manager should had more time to adapt to each other, she said.

Evans, 37, became city manager March 20, replacing Ruth Jones, who the council fired after nine years on the job.

Evans previously served as assistant county administrator in Sarasota and city manager in Haines City, in Central Florida.

He grew up in Port Chester, N.Y. and Kissimmee and earned a bachelor’s degree in social work and a master’s degree in public administration, both from the University of Central Florida. He also has an MBA with a concentration in human resources, from Saint Leo University.

Masters said he heard rumors before the previous council meeting, in August, that members were going to try to fire Evans, though he insists he never heard why. Apparently a lot of people heard something was afoot, because that meeting was packed with Evans supporters and TV reporters attended as well. But “with the media there, for some reason, it never came up,” he said.

Masters heaped praise on the fired manager, his integrity and personnel skills.

“Mr. Evans was one of, if not the most-qualified city manager that we’ve ever had,” Masters said. “He had a vision for the city that was second to none. And when he came here, the morale of the employees was really down and Mr. Evans was able to bring that morale up very high by going to visit them on the job, going to see them, having meetings with them and bringing them all together.”

Masters said he worked long hours with Evans during Hurricane Irma.

“That man was so intense and working with the employees, working with the emergency management team around-the-clock, he was giving us updates, sending elected officials emails, having conference calls….”

Masters, hearing council members might try to fire Evans Wednesday, said he urged that if that’s what they planned, to put the matter on the agenda or state it publicly so that members of the public watching on the local government TV channel would be alerted. They didn’t do that, but the storm had knocked a tree onto a Comcast cable, knocking out the internet service upon which the broadcast relied.

Evans was left “baffled, perplexed, disheartened, you name it, I’ve gone through a string of emotions and am just trying to find some type of closure to the situation and realize that I did nothing wrong,” he said Friday.

He thought he and Davis had a cordial relationship and he was aware of nothing he was asked to do that he didn’t do, he said. “I always made a point to say ‘hi’ and shook his hand and thought we had a good working relationship. That seemingly changed without knowledge to me….”

“I moved here just for the opportunity to be the city manager in Riviera Beach,” he said. “I came here not to be Riviera Beach’s next city manager but to be Riviera Beach’s best city manager.”

He was scheduled for a job evaluation by the council in October, because the chairwoman wanted to vote on a contract for the new manager.

Instead, Evans finds himself hoping for “an amicable conversation with some of the elected officials and their attorney,” he said. “So if we’re going to part ways, we can part ways amicably. But I want to make sure my reputation, my work product, stands on its own, where it’s not called into question by false allegations.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Congressmen want answers after Ryan asks House chaplain to resign
Congressmen want answers after Ryan asks House chaplain to resign

Democratic congressmen are seeking answers after House Speaker Paul Ryan asked the House chaplain to resign earlier this month, CNN reported. Father Pat Conroy resigned April 15, ending nearly seven years of praying to kick off House of Representatives sessions. Democratic Rep. Gerry Connolly said he wasn't sure why Ryan asked for the Jesuit priest&rsquo...
Dog recovers after attack by hawk in backyard
Dog recovers after attack by hawk in backyard

A dog in Massachusetts is on the mend after she was attacked in her backyard by a hawk. It's been a few days for Daisy and her owner Susan Nascimeno after the 10-year-old bichon frise was attacked by a hawk Monday afternoon while fenced in her East Freeport backyard.  "She was just covered in blood -- her chest, back, butt, everything was...
Texas man gets life in prison for beating, stomping girlfriend's baby
Texas man gets life in prison for beating, stomping girlfriend's baby

A Texas man was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday after his conviction for beating and stomping his girlfriend’s baby to death, KDFW reported. Joshua Beard and the child’s mother, Alexis Botello, are accused of burying the girl in Parker County. According to police, in 2014 Beard slammed 18-month old Tylea so hard onto a bed that...
Missing 15-year-old Kentucky girl found safe in Louisville, police say
Missing 15-year-old Kentucky girl found safe in Louisville, police say

A 15-year-old Kentucky girl who left school to leave with an unknown person has been found, WKYT reported Thursday. Amber Renae Wagers was found safe in Louisville, the Berea Police Department said in a Facebook post. Wagers, 15, walked out of Berea Community School around 10 a.m. Wednesday to leave with an unknown person, police said. Investigators...
James Shaw Jr. raises $170,000 for Waffle House shooting victims
James Shaw Jr. raises $170,000 for Waffle House shooting victims

James Shaw Jr., who disarmed a gunman who opened fire at a Waffle House in Tennessee on Sunday, has raised more than $170,000 in a fundraiser to help the victims’ families, CNN reported. Shaw, who wrestled a rifle away from the gunman and tossed it over the counter, launched a GoFundMe campaign that easily topped its $15,000 goal. Four...
More Stories