Trump would like to see a military parade on Veterans Day with ‘a lot of plane flyovers’

Calling into a television show, the president acknowledged the estimated cost of $10 million to $30 million could be a concern.


President Donald Trump on Saturday night said he is hopeful that a military parade "with a lot of plane flyovers" can be staged in Washington on Veterans Day but acknowledged that the expense could be a concern. 

"We'll see if we can do it at a reasonable cost, and if we can't, we won't do it, but the generals would love to do it, I can tell you, and so would I," Trump said during a call into a Fox News television show. "I think it's great for our country." 

The parade Trump envisions would cost between $10 million and $30 million, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said earlier this month. 

Trump has directed the Pentagon to plan a parade for later this year to showcase U.S. military might. The inspiration was France's Bastille Day celebration last year, which Trump attended in Paris with French President Emmanuel Macron, and found very impressive. 

"I was at the Bastille Day parade in France with the president of France, very good guy, and it was quite something, and frankly I think it's great for spirit," Trump told host Jeanine Pirro during Saturday night's broadcast of "Justice with Judge Jeanine." 

Democrats and even some Republicans have questioned the need for such an event, suggesting it could have authoritarian overtones depending on how it's conducted. Many in the military have also questioned whether a parade would be a waste of money. 

Trump insisted Saturday that "the military loves it, they love the idea." 

Asked about a date for a U.S. parade, Trump said he likes the idea of Independence Day "because July Fourth in Washington, D.C., would be beautiful." But he said the Veterans Day holiday in November is more possible. 

Trump suggested the military parade would follow the traditional route of inaugural parades. 

"It would be up and down Pennsylvania Avenue," he said, adding that in addition to the display of military might on the ground, there would also be "a lot of plane flyovers."


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Trump

Car stunt show stops traffic on San Francisco bridge
Car stunt show stops traffic on San Francisco bridge

A “sideshow” of cars doing doughnuts that stopped traffic Sunday morning on the Bay Bridge ended with a driver getting arrested when his car became disabled while showing off, police said.  >> Read more trending news  Video shows three cars doing doughnuts and spinning around each other at 10:45 a.m., while traffic is stopped...
Woman pushed in front of train, 2 injured, suspect in custody, police say
Woman pushed in front of train, 2 injured, suspect in custody, police say

A suspect is in custody and two women are in the hospital after being hit by a train Sunday, police said.  >> Read more trending news  Operations are back to normal after the North-South line of MARTA was temporarily shut down around 5 p.m. while police gathered information and spoke to witnesses. A witness told WSB he saw...
14-year-old surfer bitten by shark off North Carolina coast
14-year-old surfer bitten by shark off North Carolina coast

A teen was bitten twice on the leg by a shark Sunday morning while surfing off Atlantic Beach, officials said. >> Read more trending news  The 14-year-old boy was bitten twice on his right leg below the knee at around 10:47 a.m., Fire Chief Adam Snyder told WITN.  The teen, who has not been identified, was able to swim back to...
Parkland survivor to join 50-mile march against gun violence in Massachusetts 
Parkland survivor to join 50-mile march against gun violence in Massachusetts 

A Parkland school shooting survivor and a parent of one of the victims will join others on a 50-mile march protesting gun violence in Massachusetts. >> Read more trending news  David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland school shooting, and Manuel Oliver, the father of victim Joaquin Oliver, will take part in the march that starts Thursday...
New York Post reveals Aaron Hernandez's suicide notes
New York Post reveals Aaron Hernandez's suicide notes

The letters former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez's wrote before he committed suicide last year were published Saturday by The New York Post. >> Read more trending news  Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts, penned letters to his lawyer...
More Stories