Fourth Carnival cruise ship fails inspection over dirty conditions


For the fourth time in two months, a Carnival cruise ship failed an inspection due to sanitation problems.

An inspection of the Carnival Liberty on Jan. 4 found dead flying insects in a dishwasher; a beverage carton in a refrigerator with a long hair on it; plus corroded, dirty or broken machinery, the Miami Herald reported. The health inspection was conducted as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Vessel Sanitation Program. 

PREVIOUS: 2 more Carnival cruise ships fail health inspections

Ships must score and 86 out of 100 to pass. Liberty scored an 80. A December CDC report showed failing grades for Carnival's Vista (79) and Breeze (77). In November, Carnival's Triumph received a score of 78.

The scores marked the time each of the four ships has failed an inspection, the Herald story said, adding that most of the cruise line's ships historically earn passing grades during the CDC inspections.

PREVIOUS: Infamous 'poop cruise' ship gets failing grade for unsanitary conditions

The Triumph was later re-inspected and scored a 98, according to Carnival. It gained notoriety in 2013 as the "poop cruise" when an engine room fire caused it to lose propulsion and standed passengers with few working bathrooms. 

The CDC has not released Triumph's re-inspection report, the Herald said. The Breeze and Vista have yet to be re-inspected, a Carnival spokeswoman told the Herald.

RELATED: Woman dies after falling from balcony of Carnival cruise ship

Carnival and other cruise lines help fund the Vessel Sanitation Program, which is designed to control the spread of gastrointestinal illnesses. "We have taken immediate corrective action, not only for the items reported, but also in providing widespread and intensive re-training and continuing education to all levels of our shipboard team members across the fleet," spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz said. 

Meanwhile, the Miami-based cruise line announced that it's moving the Carnival Miracle from Long Beach, Calif., to Tampa in February. The 2,124-passenger ship will replace the 2,052-passenger Paradise, which will go into dry-dock to be upgraded.

• More from the Miami Herald


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients

Patients at St. Joseph's Hospice in London received a special gift after Saturday's royal wedding. According to People magazine, Britain's Prince Harry and bride Meghan Markle, now the Duchess of Sussex, gave the hospice some flowers that had been used to decorate St. George's Chapel for their ceremony. "Today we got a very special delivery. Beautiful...
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103

Patricia Morison, who played the shrewish lead role in the 1948 Cole Porter Broadway musical “Kiss Me, Kate,” died Sunday, Variety reported. She was 103.  Morison also appeared on stage with Yul Brynner in “The King and I” and starred in films such as “The Song of Bernadette.” She also appeared as Basil...
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise

As rain continues to pound Palm Beach County, Wellington is working to mitigate the effects as days of storms add up.  The village received more than 4 inches of rain from Saturday afternoon through Sunday, Wellington said in a news release. “The village has received an exceptional amount of rainfall over the last four weeks,&rdquo...
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond

An 18-year-old boy who allegedly shot and injured a teen in Boynton Beach Wednesday night was given a $20,000 bond by a Palm Beach County Court judge Saturday morning. Cleevens Altiner was arrested Friday and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill and aggravated battery with a firearm. The judge ordered a $10...
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 

Even though Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged as an adult in the mass shooting at a southeastern Texas high school Friday, he will not face the death penalty and could even be eligible for parole someday, the Houston Chronicle reported. Pagourtzis, 17, a high school junior, admitted to the shootings that killed 10 and wounded 13, according to court...
More Stories