White House staffers reportedly frustrated by Trump’s impromptu NYT interview


President Donald Trump sat down for an impromptu interview with a New York Times reporter Thursday and some White House aides and officials weren’t happy about his decision.

>> Read more trending news 

Christopher Ruddy, a member of the Trump International Golf Club who has access to the president, invited reporter Michael Schmidt as his guest for lunch, sat near the president’s usual table, and then brought the reporter over to speak with the president.

Trump ended up giving Schmidt a 30-minute, on-the-record interview in which he discussed multiple topics,including his tumultuous relationship with the media and special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.

According to The Washington Post, no aides were present during the interview, but White House communications director Hope Hicks monitored the interview from “afar,” even going so far as to have Trump’s personal aide interrupt the interview and hand the president a cell phone with her on the other end.

>> Related: Trump issues first commuted sentence for federal prisoner – here’s what we know

One White House official didn’t even know the interview had happened until after it was finished, and when asked about it, replied, “What interview? Today?”

Another aide called the interview “embarrassing.”

President Trump conducted the interview while visiting Mar-a-Lago – his oceanside resort in Palm Beach, Florida, that has been dubbed the “Winter White House.”

Trump’s staff reportedly find it harder to control what the president does and sees, especially his daily media intake, when he visits his Florida resort.

“At Mar-a-Lago, anyone who can get within eyesight changes the game,” said a former White House official told The Post.

The president’s former campaign adviser, Roger Stone, said that Mar-a-Lago “allows Trump to be Trump.”

>> Related: Classified emails from Huma Abedin found on Anthony Weiner’s laptop 

“Nobody tells Donald Trump where he can and cannot go,” Stone said. “The president is able to get a lot of information that is normally blocked from getting to him . . . You don’t have the minders. There is no doubt that he makes more calls.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Amazon Prime increasing membership fee 20% to $119 in May for new members
Amazon Prime increasing membership fee 20% to $119 in May for new members

Amazon is increasing its membership fee for its Prime subscription service by 20 percent starting next month, according to media reports. >> Read more trending news   On an earnings conference call Thursday, the tech company’s chief financial officer, Brian Olsavsky, said the increase takes effect May 11, MarketWatch reported...
Musician Charles Neville of The Neville Brothers dead at 79
Musician Charles Neville of The Neville Brothers dead at 79

Musician Charles Neville, the brother of Aaron Neville and a member of the R&B funk group The Neville Brothers, has died. He was 79 years old. Aaron Neville confirmed the news to WWL Thursday. The 79-year-old was sick for some time, the station reported. He died at his Massachusetts home. >> Read more trending news  The New Orleans...
Roller coaster Thursday for President Trump on Russia, Cohen, Cabinet
Roller coaster Thursday for President Trump on Russia, Cohen, Cabinet

In a turbulent Thursday, President Donald Trump raised new questions about how he might deal with the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 elections, admitted that Michael Cohen was his lawyer in legal dealings with porn star Stormy Daniels, watched as his Cabinet saw a day of success, verbal scrapes, and setbacks...
Video shows 2014 police shooting that killed ‘Cops’ crew member
Video shows 2014 police shooting that killed ‘Cops’ crew member

The judge in a wrongful death lawsuit against Omaha police officers who fatally shot two men in 2014 -- including a member of a “Cops” camera crew shadowing them -- has released footage that shows what happened inside a Wendy’s restaurant being robbed that night.  Officers fired more than 30 rounds in the fast food restaurant...
Kelis says marriage with Nas had ‘a lot of physical and mental abuse’
Kelis says marriage with Nas had ‘a lot of physical and mental abuse’

Singer Kelis and Nas divorced nearly 10 years ago, but Kelis has revealed new information about her marriage to the rapper that has stunned many.  In an interview with Hollywood Unlocked posted Thursday, the singer opened up about her marriage to the rapper, alleging that there was infidelity and physical and mental abuse. The two met in 2002...
More Stories