Trump sends Democrats’ Nunes rebuttal memo back to House committee


President Donald Trump will send the Democrats’ rebuttal memorandum back to the House Intelligence Committee without releasing even a redacted version of it, according to news outlets. 

>> Read more trending news 

The memo was in response to the one drafted by Republican aides to House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), which contended the FBI and Department of Justice engaged in questionable tactics in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and into alleged Trump campaign collusion with Russia. 

>> Related: Nunes memo: Controversial GOP memo alleging missteps in Russia probe released

The White House has asked the Justice Department to help revise the memo so it can be released, according to the Washington Post.

White House counsel Don McGahn said in a letter to the House Intelligence Committee that the Justice Department believes parts of the memo “would create especially significant concerns for the national security and law enforcement interests,” if released, the Post reported.

Trump released the Nunes memo last week, which contained information purporting to show that the FBI and DOJ did not provide complete information when requesting a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant to watch one-time Trump campaign member Carter Page.

The Democrat’s memo, drafted by ranking House Intelligence Committee Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), reportedly quashed the claims made by the GOP, showing how the allegations were taken out of context.

>> Related: House Intelligence Committee votes to release controversial Nunes memo

The House Intelligence Committee voted Monday, like it did the week before on the Republican memo, to release the Democrats memo. President Donald Trump then had five days to decide whether to release the 10-page document. He did release the GOP memo, over the “concerns” of the FBI and DOJ.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

'I am ugly crying:' 5-year-old with autism says first word in McDonald's drive-thru
'I am ugly crying:' 5-year-old with autism says first word in McDonald's drive-thru

A 5-year-old girl in Athens, Alabama, gave her mom the surprise of a lifetime during a trip through a McDonald’s drive-thru. >> Read more trending news  Briana Blankenship shared the video of her daughter, Taylor, saying the word “mama” for the first time, according to WXIN. Blankenship tells WXIN that Taylor...
Louisiana man charged with driving lawn mower while drunk
Louisiana man charged with driving lawn mower while drunk

A south Louisiana man was arrested Saturday after sheriff’s deputies said they saw him driving a lawn mower while drunk. Brian K. Cheramie, 59, of Cut Off, is charged with second-offense driving while intoxicated, according to the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office. He was also booked on an outstanding contempt of court warrant. Sheriff&rsquo...
R. Kelly sued by Texas woman for sexual battery, false imprisonment, claims he gave her STD
R. Kelly sued by Texas woman for sexual battery, false imprisonment, claims he gave her STD

R&B singer R. Kelly is involved in yet another lawsuit in which he is accused of sexual assault. The New York Times reported that Faith A. Rodgers, a 20-year-old Texas woman, filed a suit in a New York court. Rodgers said she was 19 when she started a relationship with Kelly. >> Read more trending news  NYT reported that, according ...
Teen takes late boyfriend’s father to senior prom
Teen takes late boyfriend’s father to senior prom

It was supposed to be the dance of a lifetime, but a Pennsylvania teen’s boyfriend passed away before prom day arrived. Carter Brown died last month when he was heading home from college to surprise his girlfriend Kaylee Suders.  He was killed when his car crossed the centerline and was hit head-on, The Associated Press reported. >>...
New York parents take 30-year-old son to court to force him to move out
New York parents take 30-year-old son to court to force him to move out

A New York couple is asking the Supreme Court of New York State to step in and help get their 30-year-old son to move out of their home.  Christina and Mark Rotondo stated through court filings that they have been trying to get their son, Michael Rotondo, to move out of their Camillus home for several months, according to WSTM. >> Read...
More Stories