Trump administration proposes changes to SNAP program


The Trump administration may be looking at revamping the program that ensures that low-income families have the food they need.

During a briefing Monday, Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney introduced a service that is similar to Blue Apron, or a food delivery service, the Washington Post reported.

>>READ MORE: Sonny Perdue defends plan to shift from food stamps to ‘CARE’ packages for the poor

The administration is looking to cut aid to the families, called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, but will add a box of canned goods to make up the difference.

“It lowers the cost to us because we can buy [at wholesale prices] whereas they have to buy it at retail. It also makes sure they’re getting nutritious food. So we’re pretty excited about that,” Mulvaney said during the briefing Monday.

>> Read more trending news 

The box of food is being called “America’s Harvest Box” by the Agriculture Department, the Washington Post reported.

The food stamp program costs about $1.37 per meal. A meal kit is about $10 per serving, according to the Washington Post.

The adjustments in the program are expected to the save the government $129 billion over the next decade, NPR reported.

Families who would get the box of food would be ones who currently get at least $90 a month. The change would provide half of their SNAP benefits in the box that will contain shelf-stable milk, ready-to-eat cereal and other pantry staples like pasta, peanut butter and cans of vegetables and fruit. No fresh products would be included, according to NPR.

Right now, those on SNAP receive money on their EBT card that can be used for anything that falls under the guidelines.

Many are not happy with the proposal, saying that stores like Walmart and Aldi will lose money if benefits are cut. The Food Marketing Institute told the Washington Post that the proposal is not efficient, expensive and won’t show savings in the long-term.

The proposal was part of the Trump budget for the 2019 fiscal year, but will need approval from Congress if it would go into effect, NPR reported.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

'I am ugly crying:' 5-year-old with autism says first word in McDonald's drive-thru
'I am ugly crying:' 5-year-old with autism says first word in McDonald's drive-thru

A 5-year-old girl in Athens, Alabama, gave her mom the surprise of a lifetime during a trip through a McDonald’s drive-thru. >> Read more trending news  Briana Blankenship shared the video of her daughter, Taylor, saying the word “mama” for the first time, according to WXIN. Blankenship tells WXIN that Taylor...
Louisiana man charged with driving lawn mower while drunk
Louisiana man charged with driving lawn mower while drunk

A south Louisiana man was arrested Saturday after sheriff’s deputies said they saw him driving a lawn mower while drunk. Brian K. Cheramie, 59, of Cut Off, is charged with second-offense driving while intoxicated, according to the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office. He was also booked on an outstanding contempt of court warrant. Sheriff&rsquo...
R. Kelly sued by Texas woman for sexual battery, false imprisonment, claims he gave her STD
R. Kelly sued by Texas woman for sexual battery, false imprisonment, claims he gave her STD

R&B singer R. Kelly is involved in yet another lawsuit in which he is accused of sexual assault. The New York Times reported that Faith A. Rodgers, a 20-year-old Texas woman, filed a suit in a New York court. Rodgers said she was 19 when she started a relationship with Kelly. >> Read more trending news  NYT reported that, according ...
Teen takes late boyfriend’s father to senior prom
Teen takes late boyfriend’s father to senior prom

It was supposed to be the dance of a lifetime, but a Pennsylvania teen’s boyfriend passed away before prom day arrived. Carter Brown died last month when he was heading home from college to surprise his girlfriend Kaylee Suders.  He was killed when his car crossed the centerline and was hit head-on, The Associated Press reported. >>...
New York parents take 30-year-old son to court to force him to move out
New York parents take 30-year-old son to court to force him to move out

A New York couple is asking the Supreme Court of New York State to step in and help get their 30-year-old son to move out of their home.  Christina and Mark Rotondo stated through court filings that they have been trying to get their son, Michael Rotondo, to move out of their Camillus home for several months, according to WSTM. >> Read...
More Stories