breaking news

Storms spreading south in Palm Beach County as rush hour approaches

Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010


A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.”

"It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt," she told CNN. "I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’"

In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her.

Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour.

Franken has since apologized for the incident.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.”

She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.”

“We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.”

>> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week.

"The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories," Franken said. "They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Senate postpones hearing for Trump VA pick Ronny Jackson amid 'serious allegations'
Senate postpones hearing for Trump VA pick Ronny Jackson amid 'serious allegations'

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that his pick to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, White House physician Ronny Jackson, will decide whether it’s worth it to pursue the post after lawmakers postponed a hearing on his nomination in light of several allegations. “I don’t want to put a man through a process like this. ... It&rsquo...
20-year-old bear attack survivor bitten by shark while surfing
20-year-old bear attack survivor bitten by shark while surfing

Dylan McWilliams loves nature, but nature doesn’t always love him back. The 20-year-old Grand Junction, Colorado, resident was surfing off the Kauai coastline in Hawaii Thursday morning when he suddenly felt searing pain in his calf. He told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that he looked down to see what appeared to be a tiger shark between...
Keshia Knight Pulliam finalizes divorce with Ed Hartwell, gets primary custody
Keshia Knight Pulliam finalizes divorce with Ed Hartwell, gets primary custody

Keshia Knight Pulliam’s divorce with Ed Hartwell has been finalized, and she received  primary custody of their one-year-old daughter Ella Grace, according to TMZ.  >> Read more trending news  Hartwell -- an ex-NFL player who was married to former “Real Housewives of Atlanta” cast mate Lisa Wu -- married...
Judge gives man 50 years over $1.2 million in stolen fajitas
Judge gives man 50 years over $1.2 million in stolen fajitas

An unexpected doctor’s appointment -- and 800 pounds of fajitas -- proved to be Gilberto Escamilla’s undoing. Escamilla, 53, of Brownsville, Texas, was sentenced Friday to 50 years in prison after pleading guilty to theft by a public servant, according to the Brownsville Herald. Escamilla is a former employee of the Cameron County...
2 alleged members of Felony Lane Gang, known to target moms, arrested
2 alleged members of Felony Lane Gang, known to target moms, arrested

Police in Matthews recently arrested two women who they said are part of a larger gang known to steal innocent people’s identity information in order to commit fraud. Investigators said that on April 18, workers at the State Employees Credit Union on Matthews Township Parkway reported that the two women, later identified as Dusty Wheaton and...
More Stories