New York AG sues president, Trump Foundation


New York’s attorney general filed suit Thursday against the Donald J. Trump Foundation and its directors, including the president and three of his children, alleging the foundation was inappropriately used for self-gain.

>> Read more trending news

“The Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their purpose or legality,” state Attorney General Barbara Underwood said. “This is not how private foundations should function.”

Underwood said authorities found evidence that the foundation “raised in excess of $2.8 million in a manner designed to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direction and under the control of senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign.”

The president slammed the suit in a pair of tweets Thursday, writing that “New York Democrats ... are doing everything they can to sue me,” and vowing not to settle.

Underwood's predecessor, Democrat Eric Schneiderman, began investigating the foundation in 2016 following Washington Post reports that its spending personally benefited the presidential candidate. Schneiderman ordered the foundation to stop fundraising in New York. He resigned last month after allegations that he abused women he had dated surfaced. He denied the claims.

>> What you need to know about the Trump Foundation

Investigators said in a 41-page petition filed in court Thursday that Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski strategically ordered that foundation grants be given to nonprofit organizations in Iowa ahead of the 2016 Iowa caucuses. At least five $100,000 grants were given to Iowa nonprofits at Lewandowski’s behest, according to authorities.

Investigators said Trump also used foundation funds to pay off his legal obligations and to promote Trump hotels and businesses.

>> From Jamie Dupree: New York AG sues Trump, Foundation over illegal campaign help

The president is accused of using at least $258,000 of the foundation’s money to settle legal claims against his Mar-A-Lago resort and the Trump National Golf Club. Authorities said he also used $10,000 to buy a painting of himself at a charity auction.

Trump repaid the funds after authorities launched their probe of the Trump Foundation, Underwood said.

None of the payments were approved by the foundation’s board of directors, which includes the president’s children Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, officials said. The board has not met since 1999, according to Underwood.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Thief fails three-point-turn, flees after he can’t get truck out of driveway
Thief fails three-point-turn, flees after he can’t get truck out of driveway

A thief failed to steal a truck because he could not complete a three-point turn to get around another vehicle in a driveway and then fled the scene, surveillance video shows.  Video posted by the Bensalem Police Department shows a man trying to steal the unlocked truck early Wednesday morning.  The man, who appears to be in...
Trump demands major change in how U.S. legal system deals with illegal aliens
Trump demands major change in how U.S. legal system deals with illegal aliens

As Republicans struggled again to gather a majority in the House this week for an immigration reform bill, President Donald Trump on Sunday seemed to hint that the effort might be a waste of time, blaming Democrats for their opposition to GOP plans, and demanding major changes in how the U.S. legal system deals with those illegally...
BET Awards 2018: Winners list
BET Awards 2018: Winners list

The 2018 BET Awards aired Sunday at from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. >> Read more trending news  DJ Khaled leads the nominations with six, but close behind are Kendrick Lamar with five nominations and SZA and Migos with four nods each. All four nominees are performers at the show, which is hosted by Jamie Foxx. Some of...
5 arrested for murder of New York teen who was hacked to death with machete
5 arrested for murder of New York teen who was hacked to death with machete

Police arrested five people Sunday in connection with a brutal machete attack on a teen outside a Bronx bodega earlier in the week.  Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was pulled out of the Cruz and Chiky grocery Wednesday by members of the Dominican gang Trinitarios, who beat him, hacked him with a machete and left him to die on the sidewalk outside...
Suspect accused in mentally disabled woman's assault was once police chief
Suspect accused in mentally disabled woman's assault was once police chief

Roughly 20 years before Robert Lanier New became embroiled in assault allegations tied to a mentally disabled woman and her niece, he served as the police chief in Emerson.  City officials confirmed to WSB-TV that New had two stints with Emerson police. New first served with the department from September 1998 to February 1999, when he left...
More Stories