BREAKING: Restaurant manager thanks backers after deportation reprieve


Francisco Javier Gonzalez, the manager of the Pizza Al Fresco restaurant on Palm Beach’s Worth Avenue who was facing the risk of deportation under President Donald Trump’s new immigration policy, on Friday thanked the thousands of people who signed an online petition on his behalf.

“I really want to thank the community,” he said. “Me and my family really appreciate the support. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

Gonzalez was scheduled to check in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers in Broward County this morning, at which point he could have faced deportation. But his Boynton Beach immigration attorney Richard Hujber said Thursday the meeting has been delayed for three months.

A Change.org petition created by Hujber last week to raise awareness about Gonzalez’s case had more than 8,400 signatures as of Thursday.

In an update posted on the petition just before 7 p.m. Thursday, Hujber said there was “no doubt” that the petition helped win Gonzalez an extension.

“It appears that they have recognized the vast efforts we have made on his behalf, and the amazing support from the South Florida community, as well as people from all around the world — all in support of this urgent and compelling case,” Hujber wrote. “Javier and his family thank everyone who took the time and effort to sign the petition, and also make calls and share this petition with so many others.”

Gonzalez has no criminal record, a U.S. citizen spouse and three U.S.-born daughters.

Although he is married, his immigration case is complicated. He came to the U.S. to live with his brother when he was 15 years old using what he thought was a valid visa. After high school, he returned to Mexico to visit family members. When he came back to the U.S., he was told at the airport that his visa was not valid. He was deported and ordered not to return for a 5-year-period.

Gonzalez didn’t wait. He crossed the border illegally. And despite marrying a U.S. citizen, the illegal crossing has been an obstacle in his efforts to obtain a green card.

In his update Thursday, Hujber cautioned supporters that the case is not over.

“While today was an important victory and a significant step in this process, this cause will continue and is far from over,” he wrote. “We look forward to additional progress in the months ahead, with the hope that when Javier again must report to DHS/ICE in less than three months, we will be able to achieve additional — and hopefully permanent — success.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Jessica Simpson pregnant with baby No. 3
Jessica Simpson pregnant with baby No. 3

Jessica Simpson and her husband, Eric Johnson, will be parents again for the third time. E! News reported the singer and fashion entrepreneur announced on Instagram Tuesday that they were having a baby girl. >> Read more trending news  “This little baby girl will make us a family of five,” the caption read. “We...
Gas pipeline pressure before explosions was 12 times higher than normal
Gas pipeline pressure before explosions was 12 times higher than normal

The investigation continues into the deadly natural gas line explosion near Boston and the U.S. senators who represent Massachusetts have sent a letter to the executives of the utility company in charge of that area saying the pressure in the lines was 12 times higher than it should have been, The Associated Press reported. Sens. Elizabeth Warren...
Julie Chen leaving 'The Talk' after husband Les Moonves leaves CBS, reports say
Julie Chen leaving 'The Talk' after husband Les Moonves leaves CBS, reports say

Television host and producer Julie Chen is leaving “The Talk,” CBS’s daytime talk show, following her husband Les Moonves’s resignation as CEO of the television network, according to multiple reports. It was not immediately clear when Chen planned to officially announce her departure. Citing an unidentified source, Page...
Rising golf star Celia Barquin Arozamena found dead on Iowa golf course
Rising golf star Celia Barquin Arozamena found dead on Iowa golf course

Update 11:29 a.m. EDT Sept. 18: Police have released additional details on the discovery of the body of Celia Barquin Arozamena. Police said her body was found in a pond with several stab wounds to the head, neck and upper torso, The Des Moines Register reported. Collin Daniel Richards, who is accused of killing Barquin Arozamena, appeared...
CNN's Anderson Cooper calls out Donald Trump Jr., debunks hurricane meme
CNN's Anderson Cooper calls out Donald Trump Jr., debunks hurricane meme

Atlanta-based CNN is often dismissed as "fake news" by President Donald Trump and his supporters. Seeking to prove their point, some right-wing meme creators found a photo of Anderson Cooper in waist-deep floodwater, claiming he was exaggerating and staging shots during Hurricane Florence.  But the photo was from 2008...
More Stories