More luxury condos approved for downtown Boca


BOCA RATON — A Boca Raton board on Monday approved a plan for nine-story condominium towers near the Intracoastal Waterway in downtown Boca Raton.

The proposed project is from Venezuelan developers who have built luxury condos throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Dubbed 475 Royal Palm, the planned condo complex and accompanying underground parking garage will be built on an office complex on Palmetto Park Road and Southeast Fifth Avenue, just west of the waterfront Silver Palm Park. 

The three-tower, 48-unit luxury condominium complex will replace a surface parking lot just south of Morgan Stanley’s Boca Raton headquarters. Underground parking will be shared by Morgan Stanley employees and residents of the condo complex. 

Boca Raton’s Community Redevelopment Agency praised the development as a beautiful addition to downtown Boca Raton, although one member - Councilwoman Andrea O’Rourke - approved the project with reservations about parking and the addition of students to Boca Raton’s already crowded schools.

Group P6 — a Boca Raton firm headed by Ignacio Diaz, his wife and his brother-in-law, all from Venezuela — are the developers. They also built 327 Royal Palm, a 25-unit condo just south of Palmetto Park Road in downtown Boca.

475 and 327 Royal Palm are two projects in wave of residential developments in Boca Raton’s booming downtown. The city also has approved:

  • A high-rise condo complex called Ocean Palm, at Palmetto Park Road and Ocean Boulevard, on the barrier island.
  • Four nine-story buildings with 384 luxury condos between downtown’s Royal Palm Place plaza and Boca Raton Golf Club from developer Elad National Properties.

On Monday, a few residents lauded the proposed 427 Royal Palm plan.

“It’s a beautiful property. It’s going to be quite an addition to our neighborhood,” said Fred McNaboe, who owns a property just west of the proposed development.

One resident, Bruce Verstandig, who lives southeast of the planned condo complex, raised concerns about traffic congestion.

“The congestion is getting worse and worse,” Verstandig said of Southeast Fifth Avenue. The developers plan to place speed bumps near the project to slow down traffic.

The Boca board approved the project unanimously with the condition that a voluntary impact fee be paid to the Palm Beach County School District, and that the money specifically go to Boca Raton schools. The exact fee will be suggested by the school district when developers seek permits for the project.

School crowding is an issue that looms over nearly all decisions that go before Boca Raton’s highest boards. O’Rourke has in the past suggested that Boca Raton stall residential development approvals until the school district finds a solution to crowding.

Nearly all of Boca Raton’s public schools enroll more students than they are built to hold. The district is working on solutions to apparent crowding, including adding “portable classrooms” to some schools and rebuilding and expanding others.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

LATEST: Former deputy granted bond as he waits appeal of attempted rape conviction 
LATEST: Former deputy granted bond as he waits appeal of attempted rape conviction 

Former Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy Jason Nebergall will be able to go home while an appeal is pending in his attempted rape conviction, a judge ruled Monday.  Nebergall, 39, was sentenced to eight years in prison after a jury found him guilty of attempted rape and battery. Nebergall, who was previously out on bond before the...
Police: Florida man points gun at KFC worker, demands her to reopen store
Police: Florida man points gun at KFC worker, demands her to reopen store

A Florida man couldn’t resist his hunger after police said he attempted to force a KFC employee at gunpoint to reopen a store, WDEL reports.  Antonio Stevens, 27, of Orlando, walked up to the 38-year-old woman on Aug. 5 as she was waiting outside for a ride home after the Delaware eatery closed, WDEL stated.   He demanded...
Wellington Bacon & Bourbon Fest featured on Cooking Channel show
Wellington Bacon & Bourbon Fest featured on Cooking Channel show

Bacon & Bourbon featured: The Wellington Bacon & Bourbon Fest will be featured on the Cooking Channel’s “Carnival Eats” TV show at 9 p.m. Sunday. The episode, titled, “There Will Be Bacon,” features the festival that moved last year from Delray Beach to Wellington. The Wellington Trace Tavern, 12794 Forest Hill Blvd.,...
Natural phenomenon: Where to kayak with bioluminescence in Florida
Natural phenomenon: Where to kayak with bioluminescence in Florida

Adventure seekers, strap on your life vests and get ready for a glow-in-the-dark paddle in Pandora! I’m kidding. That was my inner “Avatar” geek, hoping for a planet as such. While Disney did re-make this amazing place at one of their Parks, you can have a more natural experience by visiting a spot that looks like a scene from...
JUST IN: Alleged robberies at Dunkin’ Donuts, Walgreens leaves man empty-handed
JUST IN: Alleged robberies at Dunkin’ Donuts, Walgreens leaves man empty-handed

A Royal Palm Beach man didn’t get any money during alleged attempted robberies Sunday at a Dunkin’ Donuts in Boynton Beach and a Walgreens in Lake Worth, but he did land a place behind bars. Daniel Cruz, 45, is facing charges of robbery without a weapon and robbery with a firearm and remained in the Palm Beach County Jail early Tuesday...
More Stories