'A sad day’: Testa’s closes location in Palm Beach after 96 years


Testa’s restaurant, a favorite local eatery and a town icon for decades, closed its doors Saturday night to make way for the new development on Royal Poinciana Way.

Tom Testa said the announcement of the closing earlier this month touched off a wave of emotion and sentiment from people across South Florida.

“The outpouring from the community has been truly overwhelming, flattering and humbling,” Testa said in an email. “Thank you to all for 96 memorable years.”

>> PHOTOS: Last day at Testa’s Palm Beach, July 15, 2017

RELATED: Testa’s restaurant closing: Saying goodbye to ‘Palm Beach’s best friend’

Town Councilwoman Bobbie Lindsay was among the customers on Saturday. “It’s a sad day for me,” she said. “I grew up here.”

Lindsay recalled celebrating many birthdays at Testa’s and went for lunch on the restaurant’s last day with her husband, Douglas Buck, and son, John Buck.

The restaurant first opened its doors on the island in 1921 and is the oldest family-owned restaurant in Palm Beach County. Famous for its strawberry pie and “steak for two,” it began as a soda shop down the street from the building at 221 Royal Poinciana Way, its home since 1947.

RELATED: 96 years: Timeline of Testa’s history in Palm Beach

RELATED: Testa’s: Celebrity sightings range from JFK to actors to musicians

“So many people have been part of our lives and we of theirs,” Tom Testa said. “Each member of our family has so many memories and, as we have heard from our longtime customers and friends, those memories are what we all will take with us and cherish most.”

The Frisbie Group plans to begin demolition next month of the restaurant building, defunct service station and Via Testa buildings to make way for a new and smaller restaurant, shops and six luxury condominiums with underground parking. The project is supposed to be completed in about three years, according to an agreement between the Frisbies and the town.

It’s not clear if Testa’s will return in the new restaurant at the redeveloped site or elsewhere. Tom Testa has said the family is keeping its options open.

“I’ve been coming here since 1977,” said L Michael Lee of Jupiter, who was at the restaurant Saturday. “They have the best martinis in town and it was a great place to bring a date … you could never re-create this place. It’s a Palm Beach landmark.”

David Malouff of Boynton Beach was also at Testa’s on Saturday.

“It’s sad they’re closing, but times have changed,” he said. “We’ll see what the new project brings.”

RELATED: Memories of Testa’s: ‘It wasn’t always just about the food’


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103

Patricia Morison, who played the shrewish lead role in the 1948 Cole Porter Broadway musical “Kiss Me, Kate,” died Sunday, Variety reported. She was 103.  Morison also appeared on stage with Yul Brynner in “The King and I” and starred in films such as “The Song of Bernadette.” She also appeared as Basil...
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise

As rain continues to pound Palm Beach County, Wellington is working to mitigate the effects as days of storms add up.  The village received more than 4 inches of rain from Saturday afternoon through Sunday, Wellington said in a news release. “The village has received an exceptional amount of rainfall over the last four weeks,&rdquo...
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond

An 18-year-old boy who allegedly shot and injured a teen in Boynton Beach Wednesday night was given a $20,000 bond by a Palm Beach County Court judge Saturday morning. Cleevens Altiner was arrested Friday and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill and aggravated battery with a firearm. The judge ordered a $10...
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 

Even though Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged as an adult in the mass shooting at a southeastern Texas high school Friday, he will not face the death penalty and could even be eligible for parole someday, the Houston Chronicle reported. Pagourtzis, 17, a high school junior, admitted to the shootings that killed 10 and wounded 13, according to court...
Trump demands Justice Department probe claims of spying on his 2016 campaign
Trump demands Justice Department probe claims of spying on his 2016 campaign

In a tweet Sunday afternoon, President Donald Trump said he will demand that the Justice Department investigate whether it or the FBI spied on his 2016 presidential campaign for political reasons, CNN reported. "I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated...
More Stories