There will be no fireworks at Jupiter’s Harbourside Place on the Fourth of July.
Officials at the waterfront entertainment center have not arranged to have 25 police officers at the event and have not paid previous invoices, according to a letter issued Friday to Harbourside from the town’s planning and zoning department.
Harbourside officials have until Wednesday to meet the town’s requirements and reapply, according to the letter.
That’s not going to happen, said Ryan Miller, director of development for Allied Capital and Development, the developers of the $150 million center. Harbourside submitted its application for the July Fourth celebration on April 13, he said.
“It’s too late to find a national fireworks company to do the event,” Miller said.
The permit was not approved because Harbourside is not meeting town regulations, said Jupiter Town Attorney Tom Baird.
“Harbourside has applied to put on a major event. They must meet traffic, police and road closing requirements,” Baird said.
Business will suffer without a fireworks display, said Carlos Sanchez, part-owner of Calaveras Cantina, a Harbourside restaurant.
“Last July Fourth was one of our busiest days. Everybody wants fireworks on the Fourth of July,” Sanchez said.
It is unclear whether there will be any event held at Harbourside Place on July Fourth. The town must issue a permit for any event to take place.
“The town is doing everything in its power to hurt us,” Harbourside developer Nick Mastroianni said.
Jupiter won’t be without fireworks. A display is planned at Roger Dean Stadium on July Fourth.
Fireworks were held when Harbourside opened in December, 2014. The last time fireworks were held at Harbourside was July 4, 2015.
Those fireworks drew about 4,000 people and brought complaints of nearby residents. Burns on outdoor furniture and canvas tops on boats resulted, said Paul Chaney, a resident of Waters Edge Estates. The fireworks company paid out about $2,500 in damages to one resident, said Miller.
Fireworks were considered for last New Year’s Eve but Harbourside officials instead opted for confetti and streamers, along with the Times Square ball drop on a 16-foot-wide TV screen. The event was free and open to the public.
A U.S. District Court ruling last week stated that Harbourside Place is entitled to additional special events permits on its property. The town of Jupiter had contended that Harbourside had already used up the 16 annual special permits allowed under town regulations.
The current fireworks fracas is but the latest round in the continuing battle between the town and Harbourside Place. Arguments over volume of music, parking and events in the amphitheater have resulted in lawsuits, police interventions and court-ordered mediation efforts.
Harbourside would be required to pay for additional police protection if an event is held on July Fourth. About $2,700 for previous police protection at events is being paid this week, said Miller.
“Harbourside does not pay for police protection in a timely manner. It is a recurring problem,” said Baird.
Have a Jupiter issue you’d like to see The Post tackle, or a story idea? Contact Bill DiPaolo at BDiPaolo@pbpost.com.