Harbourside cancels concerts over noise dispute with Jupiter


The long-running feud over noise between Harbourside Place and the town took a new turn Friday when Harbourside announced that it had cancelled all concerts for the foreseeable future.

Nick Mastroianni III, vice president of Allied Capital & Development, the developers of the $150 million outdoor entertainment center, called the back-and-forth over noise “pointless.”

“No one wins in the situation going on,” he said.

The move comes after years of bickering between the town and the developers of the complex on the northwest corner of U.S. 1 and Indiantown Road over the noise generated by its events.

Since Harbourside’s opening in December 2014, the town has received a steady stream complaints about the noise levels emanating from the venue.

Harbourside maintains that the town continued to change the rules for concerts to be held at its amphitheater, Mastroianni III said. The requirements essentially gave the town “complete control” over what can be played, Harbourside said in a Jan. 5, 2016 lawsuit filed against the town.

MORE: Harbourside files lawsuit against Jupiter

The town, on the other hand, has said that Harbourside needs to have an outdoor venue designation in order to play music at a slightly increased level, so long as the sound is measured below 55 decibels at the neighboring residential property line. If there is no outdoor venue designation, Harbourside must obtain special event permits. The town added certain requirements with the permits, such as the days when concerts could be played, what types of instruments weren’t allowed and when the music had to stop.

A judge ruled in favor of the town when Harbourside claimed the noise ordinance violated its freedom of expression. Harbourside appealed the decision in June.

This isn’t the first time that Harbourside has cancelled events. Two weeks after filing the lawsuit in 2016, Harbourside took out a full-page ad in The Palm Beach Post that read: “Due to this unlawful order, we regret to inform you that the free, live musical performances, and many charity events held at the amphitheater that we provide to the community free of charge, will have to be (canceled) for the time being.”

By March, The concerts were back on.

As of Sept. 7, Harbourside had accrued more than $57,000 in fines and special magistrate administrative costs for holding outdoor concerts without special permits and violating the development order. Harbourside so far had paid $44,354.59, according to Jupiter code compliance supervisor Dean Fowler.

PREVIOUS: Harbourside Place is too loud, some nearby residents contend

Allied Capital Development marketing director Connie Kartell said in a statement released Friday that they “look forward to having entertainment back as soon as possible.”

The next concert would have been Nikki Lickstein performing on Saturday, according to Harbourside’s website.

“We appreciate your support and hope to resolve this matter soon so we can continue to offer free entertainment and operate as the downtown entertainment district for Jupiter,” Kartell said. “Unfortunately, we are currently unable to do so without incurring fines from the Town of Jupiter.”

When asked to comment on Harbourside cancelling outdoor concerts, town spokeswoman Kate Moretto told The Palm Beach Post in an email that the town “respects their choice to do so, and stands ready to work with them on meeting the conditions of their approval.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Opera ‘food truck’ and other arts events receive PNC Bank grants
Opera ‘food truck’ and other arts events receive PNC Bank grants

Imagine ordering a taste of opera just as you do a snack from a food truck. In the fall of 2019, Palm Beach Opera plans to unveil Opera a la Cart, pop-up opera shows performed in a truck doubling as a stage at festivals, parks and other venues. The plan calls for a menu of opera excerpts from which audience members can make selections. The truck also...
Alaska man gets a 'pass' after pleading guilty to assaulting woman
Alaska man gets a 'pass' after pleading guilty to assaulting woman

An Alaska man escaped jail time Wednesday after pleading guilty to assaulting a woman who said he sexually assaulted and strangled her until she lost consciousness, KTVA reported. >> Read more trending news  Justin Schneider, 34, of Anchorage, was convicted on four felony charges -- including kidnapping and assault -- and a misdemeanor...
3D-printed gun creator wanted on child sex charge arrested at Taiwan hotel
3D-printed gun creator wanted on child sex charge arrested at Taiwan hotel

The creator of the 3D-printed gun was arrested Friday in Taiwan after being accused of sexual assault in Texas, CNN reported Saturday. >> Read more trending news  A warrant to arrest Cody Wilson, 30, was issued earlier this week after allegations that he had sex with a 16-year-old girl he met on an adult dating site, according to police...
More details released about 2-headed baby snake
More details released about 2-headed baby snake

A state herpetologist released new details about a two-headed baby Eastern copperhead snake found outside a home in Woodbridge, Virginia, WTVR reported. The snake was examined at the Wildlife Center of Virginia. >> Read more trending news  The center received the snake on Sept. 20, according to the center’s website. ...
Ole Miss considers changing name of journalism school after namesake's social media post
Ole Miss considers changing name of journalism school after namesake's social media post

The University of Mississippi is considering changing the name of its School of Journalism after receiving major backlash stemming from a controversial post made on Facebook by the school’s namesake.  >> Read more trending news  Ed Meek is a well-known and respected alumnus of Ole Miss, as well as a significant booster for...
More Stories