- Kristina Webb Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Remember when flames scorched Mar-a-Lago?
Yes, you heard right — but it wasn’t much of a blaze. When the small fire left then-businessman Donald Trump’s estate smoldering in June of 1990, the damage didn’t extend past the servants’ wing.
And though Trump was big in the news at the time — his marriage to his first wife, Ivana, was all over the tabloids, and newspapers were shaking out the first details of Trump’s financial difficulties — the fire didn’t make the front page of The Palm Beach Post.
Instead, it was on the second page of the Local News section under the headline, “Blaze causes $50,000 damage to Mar-a-Lago wing.”
No members of Trump’s family were home, a Palm Beach Fire-Rescue spokesman told The Post. And even the servants’ wing itself “was mostly deserted because the season has ended,” the article noted.
The cause of the fire: faulty wiring.
“It was electrical,” the Fire-Rescue spokesman told The Post. “There was a lot of different wiring in the area where it started. It’s not suspicious.”
The $50,000 in damages was mostly ceilings, walls and furniture.
At the time, a Trump spokesman in New York declined to comment to The Post: “We have no comment for Florida. We just aren’t interested in talking to the press right now.”