Equestrian Village to get more on-site stalls for festival


After more than 90 minutes of back-and-forth discussion, the Village Council on Tuesday night approved 86 more stalls be added at the Equestrian Village for the Winter Equestrian Festival.

Mark Bellissimo, the owner of the venue, said the larger number of stalls would allow the show to grow and lower the number of people they’d have to turn away from storing their horses on festival grounds. The 12-week festival starts in January and ends in late March.

“We’re trying to offer a very high-quality product and that’s why (the festival) has grown year after year,” he said.

The motion passed 3-2 with Vice-Mayor John Greene and Councilman Matt Willhite as the dissenting voices. Greene and Willhite had tried three unsuccessful motions prior to the final vote, with stall increases ranging from zero to 50.

“We talk about people having a good experience,” Greene said. “The most important thing we have to address is, ‘What is the public safety concern?’ “

Fifty stalls will be added to an existing tent and the other 36 will be under a tent in a new area that wasn’t being used.

Village engineer Bill Riebe said more stalls will likely mean more cars on a road that has already had major traffic issues during the festival.

A staff member also noted that the traffic problem could have been mitigated by two required projects that Bellissimo has not completed.

He was originally planning to lengthen 40th Street South and work on the intersection of South Shore Boulevard and Pierson Road this summer, but it’s now on hold until next year. He has until the end of 2016 to complete the project. He said the holdup is because of a pending lawsuit from the Jacobs family, who have been against more development in the equestrian area.

Riebe suggested that the council should not increase the number of stalls because of the traffic concerns.

“It’s an F now, so if it goes to an F-, it’s still an F,” he said of Pierson Road.

Other changes in the permit include a reduction of capacity from 1,735 to 1,500, which allows Bellissimo to repurpose some seats into a VIP tent.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients

Patients at St. Joseph's Hospice in London received a special gift after Saturday's royal wedding. According to People magazine, Britain's Prince Harry and bride Meghan Markle, now the Duchess of Sussex, gave the hospice some flowers that had been used to decorate St. George's Chapel for their ceremony. "Today we got a very special delivery. Beautiful...
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103

Patricia Morison, who played the shrewish lead role in the 1948 Cole Porter Broadway musical “Kiss Me, Kate,” died Sunday, Variety reported. She was 103.  Morison also appeared on stage with Yul Brynner in “The King and I” and starred in films such as “The Song of Bernadette.” She also appeared as Basil...
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise

As rain continues to pound Palm Beach County, Wellington is working to mitigate the effects as days of storms add up.  The village received more than 4 inches of rain from Saturday afternoon through Sunday, Wellington said in a news release. “The village has received an exceptional amount of rainfall over the last four weeks,&rdquo...
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond

An 18-year-old boy who allegedly shot and injured a teen in Boynton Beach Wednesday night was given a $20,000 bond by a Palm Beach County Court judge Saturday morning. Cleevens Altiner was arrested Friday and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill and aggravated battery with a firearm. The judge ordered a $10...
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 

Even though Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged as an adult in the mass shooting at a southeastern Texas high school Friday, he will not face the death penalty and could even be eligible for parole someday, the Houston Chronicle reported. Pagourtzis, 17, a high school junior, admitted to the shootings that killed 10 and wounded 13, according to court...
More Stories