breaking news

Trump cancels North Korea summit with Kim Jong Un

Delray spent $2.1 million after storm sewage chaos; more costs expected


DELRAY BEACH — Delray Beach spent $2.1 million on generators after widespread power outages following Hurricane Irma caused waste water to spill into some streets

And the city will have to spend even more if it wants to avoid the sewage problems during future storms.

For a week after Hurricane Irma in September, Delray Beach residents were asked to avoid flushing  toilets, running showers or otherwise draining water with the threat — and reports — of waste water spilling into homes and streets.

The city didn’t have enough generators to power lift stations, or the facilities designed to move sewage from lower to higher elevations to keep it from overflowing. 

“We had reports out in the neighborhoods of waste water everywhere,” said Marjorie Craig, the city’s public utilities director. 

City officials spent $2.1 million on 23 new emergency generators after the storm. The city commission ratified the $2.1 million purchase at a meeting Tuesday, and revisited the missteps following Irma.

“We were woefully inadequate,” Mayor Cary Glickstein said, saying the city didn’t have enough generators to power the sewage pumps.

Even with the purchase of the 23 emergency generators shortly after the storm, the city was only able to use three because workers didn’t have the needed cables and plugs, Craig said. 

In order to use all of the generators in the future, the city still has to buy cables and plugs for the remaining 20 generators. It’s unclear how much that will cost.

The post-storm sewage issues could have been far worse had workers not manually rotated generators between the 129 city pumps to power them periodically, officials said.

There was at least one sewage backup, but city and state officials said the waste water was cleared before it reached any homes in the gated Rainberry Bay community along Lake Ida Road.

Other nearby cities didn’t have Delray’s sewage issues.

With the purchase of new generators, the city can better handle future storms and power outages, city leaders said.

Many residents were confused and frustrated by the city’s request to avoid draining water post-Irma.

“Nobody understood why they couldn’t flush their toilets,” Commissioner Shelly Petrolia said, calling for better communication during future storms.

The $2.1 million price tag did not sit well with some commissioners. Vice Mayor Jim Chard and Deputy Vice Mayor Shirley Johnson both voted against ratifying the purchase, even though it already went through last year.

Chard and Johnson asked for a “postmortem” report on the mistakes that followed Irma. 

The city is eligible and applied for reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, for the hefty generator purchase. 


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

West Palm Beach growth eases a bit
West Palm Beach growth eases a bit

Population growth appeared to slow in nearly every nook and cranny of Palm Beach County and West Palm Beach was no exception, a Census Bureau analysis released Thursday showed. In estimates for the latest year reported, from the middle of 2016 to mid-2017, population grew typically at two-thirds what it was a year earlier. Many cities grew at half...
Man delivers own baby on side of highway after wife goes into labor
Man delivers own baby on side of highway after wife goes into labor

A Lowell, Massachusetts, man had a special delivery to deal with on the highway: his own baby. Samuel Beyene's wife Rahel Estifanos called him at work Wednesday morning, saying she was having contractions. >> Read more trending news  "We start driving, and all of a sudden, she says, 'Oh my God, something is pushing. Something...
NEW: Parkland shooting survivor calls for ‘die-in’ at Publix on Friday
NEW: Parkland shooting survivor calls for ‘die-in’ at Publix on Friday

Student activist and Parkland survivor David Hogg is calling for a “die-in” at Publix Super Markets on Friday after the chain gave political donations to a Republican gubernatorial candidate. Publix has given Adam Putnam $670,000 in the past three years. The former U.S. representative recently described himself as a proud National...
UPDATE: Boca Mayor Susan Haynie’s court arraignment today canceled
UPDATE: Boca Mayor Susan Haynie’s court arraignment today canceled

Update Thursday at 6:30 a.m.: Boca Raton Mayor Susan Haynie’s arraignment hearing Thursday was canceled.  The hearing hasn’t yet been rescheduled. Haynie pleaded not guilty to the four felony and three misdemeanor charges. Original story: The first court hearing in Boca Raton Mayor Susan Haynie’s public corruption case is...
'The Chew' canceled: ABC kills foodie talk show amid Mario Batali allegations
'The Chew' canceled: ABC kills foodie talk show amid Mario Batali allegations

ABC’s appetite for afternoon talk show “The Chew” is over after seven years. Instead, a third hour of “Good Morning America” will air at 1 p.m. starting this fall.  “The Chew,” currently hosted by Carla Hall, Clinton Kelly and Michael Symon, replaced “All My Children” in 2011. Former...
More Stories