Boynton Beachers to see a renovated Sara Sims Park in about a year


Sara Sims Park is expected to get a much-needed $1.3 million fixing up by August 2019.

The park is in one of the city’s poorest neighborhoods, the Heart of Boynton, and has been mostly neglected for years. Some residents don’t even refer to it by its name, instead calling it “hole in the wall.” It’s at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard just west of Seacrest Boulevard.

Read more Boynton Beach stories here.

The city’s Community Redevelopment Agency on Tuesday released an updated project timeline to redevelop the park. This came after several workshops and after city and CRA staff worked on plans since at least January.

The bid process to find a developer will start in September. Construction should start in January, and should be finished by August 2019.

Improvements at the park include: three small pavilions and one large one; a pre-engineered restroom building; site lighting; benches; parking; walkways or fitness paths; decorative concrete pavement; landscaping; irrigation; signs; garbage bins; and decorative aluminum fencing.

Each pavilion will have a hose bib, picnic table, grills and garbage bins.

Mayor Steven Grant previously proposed building homes in a portion of the park, but most residents opposed that, and the idea has not moved forward.

Grant said the approved changes will bring the park into the 21st century. He added that the park also will have cell phone charging stations.

BOYNTON BEACH READERS: Sign up for The Post’s weekly Boynton Beach newsletter here.

“It is important to the community because for such a long time the park has been left in disrepair,” Grant said.

The park also will have security features such as cameras. An amphitheater is in the park’s future, according to CRA documents.

Improving the park is one of the ways the city and CRA are working to improve quality of life and increase affordable housing in the Heart of Boynton. In addition to the park:

  • The CRA in May requested developers send in ideas on how to redevelop more than 4 acres off Seacrest Boulevard just north of Boynton Beach Boulevard. The land, between Northeast Fourth and Fifth avenues, is known as the Cottage District. Developers have until Tuesday to submit plans. The top three will present to the CRA board. The CRA hopes to have a contract signed in September.
  • Ocean Breeze East, about 4.3 acres on Seacrest Boulevard just south of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, might finally get developed with affordable apartments after being vacant for more than a decade. Centennial Management received approval from the state to be given 9 percent tax credits for the project but competitors have had a chance to protest that decision. The company expects to know a final answer this month.

Follow Boynton Beach reporter Alexandra Seltzer on Twitter at @alexseltzer



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

At least 13 dead in duck boat accident on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri, officials say
At least 13 dead in duck boat accident on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri, officials say

At least 13 people were killed and several others injured after a duck boat carrying tourists capsized Thursday night on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri, according to authorities. >> Read more trending news  Update 9:55 a.m. EDT July 19: President Donald Trump shared sympathies Friday to the families and friends of the people involved...
NEW: Arrest made in year-old Jupiter Farms arson case
NEW: Arrest made in year-old Jupiter Farms arson case

A 28-year-old Lake Park man is facing a charge of arson after a Jupiter Farms house sustained nearly $100,000 in damages during an August 2017 fire, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Justin Cantrell was arrested July 11. He was denied bond and is being held at the Palm Beach County Jail. Debris from the fire, on 154th...
NEW: Massage therapist at day spa faces sexual battery charge
NEW: Massage therapist at day spa faces sexual battery charge

A massage therapist at a Jensen Beach spa is facing a criminal charge after a woman alleged that he touched her inappropriately during a session.  The Martin County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday it had arrested Joseph Paul Correia III, 50, of Port St. Lucie on a charge of sexual battery. His arrest came after a 62-year-old woman told sheriff&rsquo...
NEW: International arms trafficking gets Florida man 12-year prison sentence
NEW: International arms trafficking gets Florida man 12-year prison sentence

Using hollowed-out water heaters and air-conditioning units, Frederik Barbieri shipped hundreds of firearms — including AR-15 and AK-47 rifles — from South Florida to Brazil over five years, according to federal authorities.  On Thursday, the 47-year-old Port St. Lucie man was sentenced to more than 12 years in federal prison...
Democrats seize on failure of judicial pick to demand all of Supreme Court nominee’s documents
Democrats seize on failure of judicial pick to demand all of Supreme Court nominee’s documents

The forced withdrawal Thursday of a Trump judicial nominee over his college writings inflamed the battle over Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, with Democrats escalating their demands to see all of his past documents, even though that could top 1 million pages.  The failure of Ryan Bounds' nomination to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals was...
More Stories