Coast Guard extends drawbridge schedules to ease Palm Beach traffic during Trump visits


The Coast Guard is extending temporary changes to drawbridge schedules for another three months to help alleviate traffic in Palm Beach when President Donald Trump visits Mar-a-Lago, according to a Department of Homeland Security report released this week.

The changes — which originally went into effect Sept. 1 — have kept the Flagler Memorial Bridge and the Royal Park Bridge open to cars longer on weekdays when Trump is in town.

DONALD TRUMP IN PALM BEACH: Latest news, photos, videos

The temporary changes expired Feb. 27, but the Coast Guard is extending them through May 31 to allow more time to assess reactions from the public and to possibly make the changes permanent, according to Lt. Ruth Sadowitz, chief of the Coast Guard’s Miami sector Waterways Management Division.

Before the change, drawbridges connecting Palm Beach and West Palm Beach had to be closed to cars twice an hour to allow boats to pass under, Sadowitz said. Under this temporary change, bridges will be closed just once an hour from 2:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on weekdays when Trump is in town.

Palm Beach Mayor Gail Coniglio said she had discussions with Coast Guard officials as early as January 2017 about changing the drawbridge schedule and said she thinks the changes have helped traffic problems.

“As we go forward, it may need to be modified or tweaked,” Coniglio said. But “I personally believe it is an approach that is working.”

According to the report, the change was “necessary to accommodate the increase in vehicular traffic when the presidential motorcade” is on its way to and from Trump’s home at Mar-a-Lago.

Motorists are often forced to use the Flagler or Royal Park bridges instead of the Southern Boulevard Bridge when Trump visits Mar-a-Lago. Trump’s almost motorcade exclusively uses the Southern Boulevard Bridge, closing the bridge and parts of Southern Boulevard anywhere from a few minutes to nearly an hour.

By now, Coniglio said, Palm Beach residents have learned to navigate the heavy traffic caused by Trump visits.

“We have implemented procedures to improve circulation,” Coniglio said, “and our residents are managing to adapt to when and how they make their driving trips.”

So far, the Coast Guard has received three public comments about the temporary drawbridge schedule change, all of which favor the change. The Coast Guard is asking for more feedback from the public.

Comments can be submitted to regulations.gov or by contacting Sadowitz at 305-535-4307 or ruth.a.sadowitz@uscg.mil.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Coach: Spanish River football player hospitalized with brain injury
Coach: Spanish River football player hospitalized with brain injury

As law enforcement officers and EMTs responded to a shooting during a Palm Beach Central High School football game Friday night, first responders were also called to another football game near Boca Raton after a student suffered a head injury following a tackle.  Miles Levine, a senior defensive back and receiver for Spanish River, was injured...
Officer who acted to stop Wellington victim’s bleeding downplays role
Officer who acted to stop Wellington victim’s bleeding downplays role

If hands held guns that spilled blood, recognize and remember other hands, too. They reached out, at a critical and chaotic moment, to stop the flow of blood from a man’s body. A school district police officer said on Sunday that yes, he was the one applying pressure to the wound of a shooting victim near the football field at Palm Beach Central...
Ferguson Fire in California fully contained, officials say
Ferguson Fire in California fully contained, officials say

Firefighters battling the Ferguson Fire in California announced Sunday that the blaze is fully contained, KFSN reported. >> Read more trending news  The fire has raged in Mariposa County and around Yosemite National Park since July 13, scorching 96,901 acres and destroying 10 structures, The Sacramento Bee reported. Two firefighters...
Mickey Mantle jersey from 1964 sells for record $1.32 million
Mickey Mantle jersey from 1964 sells for record $1.32 million

A road jersey worn by New York Yankees Hall of Fame outfielder Mickey Mantle in 1964 sold for $1.32 million Saturday night, Sports Collectors Daily reported. The final price in the Heritage Auctions Summer Platinum Night sale, which included a 20 percent buyer’s premium, was a record price paid for any Mantle jersey. >> Read...
Shots fired after person goes to wrong address in New Hampshire
Shots fired after person goes to wrong address in New Hampshire

Shots were fired after an unknown person entered a home in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, after getting an invitation on social media and going to the wrong address, police said. >> Read more trending news  Portsmouth police responded after hearing gunshots and a resident reporting an unknown man had entered her home. The caller said she...
More Stories