VIDEO: Third anniversary of Florida teens disappearance at sea ‘a very sad day’


Three years ago today, Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen boarded a 19-foot boat, navigated through the Jupiter Inlet and headed out into the Atlantic Ocean as a dangerous storm approached.

Anybody familiar with the 14-year-old Tequesta boys’ story — which made national and international headlines for weeks — knows how it ends.

Read The Post’s complete coverage of the missing Florida teens

A search of more than 25,000 miles of ocean by scores of volunteers and Coast Guard crews turned up the boat, but no sign of the missing boys, who were last seen July 24, 2015.

Three years later, the only news connected to the disappearances revolves around dueling court actions taken by the boys’ families, whose relationship cracked and then severed in the aftermath of the tragedy.

“The anniversary is a very sad day for all the families involved,” said Michael Pike, an attorney for William “Blu” Stephanos, Austin’s father. “The Stephanos will be mourning the loss of their son like it was yesterday.”

This story contains embedded social media content. If you don’t see that content, please click here.

Immediately after the boys disappeared, the families united in rallying a South Florida community that ached along with Austin’s and Perry’s parents.

Carly Black, Austin’s mother, and Pamela Cohen, Perry’s mom, appeared holding hands on NBC’s “Today” show four days after the boys were last seen.

RELATED Messages, maps point to missing teens’ trip to Bahamas before storm 

Asked by the host what was allowing them to “hold up,” Cohen answered: “I think each other.”

But a bitter rift between began as details emerged in the case, leading to a slew of court actions and appearances that has the two sides communicating only through attorneys and depositions.

The friction became public less than three months following the disappearances after Perry’s family asked Austin’s not to combine the boys in any written or electronic format.

Legal battles began shortly after that and have continued to this day.

In December 2016, Black filed an injunction asking a federal judge to uphold a maritime law that would limit her civil liability to $500 — the value of the damaged single-engine, 1978 SeaCraft used by the boys.

Cohen followed in 2017 by filing a wrongful death lawsuit alleging that Blu Stephanos, Black and two other family members were negligent by allowing the boys venture into the Atlantic with a vessel deemed not seaworthy and no communication devices on board.

The latest hearing in the case takes place Aug. 3 at the county courthouse before Judge Jeffrey Gillen.

Pike, Stephanos’ attorney, said he will ask Gillen to throw out the lawsuit.

“I believe the law is on our side,” Pike said.

Public memorials were held on the first- and second-year anniversaries of the boys’ disappearance.

Last year, about 200 people gathered July 24 at the Jupiter Inlet to remember Austin and Perry. Ashley LeGrange, who helped organize that memorial, said she was unaware of any planned vigils today.

The bickering between the families hasn’t stopped them  from setting up foundations in their sons’ names.

RELATED Missing teens: Why Jupiter will never forget Austin and Perry 

The AustinBlu Foundation helps promote boater safety and was instrumental in getting the “Beacon Bill,” which reduces registration fees for boaters who carry location beacons on board, signed into state law in 2016.

The Perry J. Cohen Foundation focuses on various causes and helped fund Jupiter High’s Perry J. Cohen Wetlands Laboratory, an outdoor classroom used by the school’s environment, art, photography and agriculture students. A mural of Perry is painted on a wall of the classroom.

Three years later, the boys are still included in the National Database for Missing and Exploited Children.

Austin is described as 5 feet 2 inches and 115 pounds with blonde hair and green eyes. Perry is listed as 5-foot-2 and 90 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. 

“Help bring me home,” reads a plea above photos of both boys.



Next Up in Local

Hurricane Michael aftermath: Waffle House opens food truck in Panama City 
Hurricane Michael aftermath: Waffle House opens food truck in Panama City 

In the wake of Hurricane Michael, Waffle House has opened a food truck in Panama CIty, Florida, to distribute free food to the victims of the storm. >> Read more trending news  The restaurant chain posted the news on its Twitter feed Monday. The food truck is set up at 631 W. 15th St. in Panama City, Waffle House tweeted. Food will...
JUST IN: Man lunged at wife, child with kitchen knife, PBSO says
JUST IN: Man lunged at wife, child with kitchen knife, PBSO says

A suburban West Palm Beach man who'd left jail just four hours earlier this month beat his wife and plunged a kitchen knife into the bed between where the woman and their child lay, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office report. Deputies questioned the child, who nodded when asked about protecting the mother. Asked about the knife...
White woman who blocked black man from entering his St. Louis apartment fired
White woman who blocked black man from entering his St. Louis apartment fired

A white woman shown on a viral video blocking a black man from entering a loft to his downtown St. Louis apartment was fired from her job Sunday, KMOV reported. >> Read more trending news  In a cellphone video posted to his Facebook page, D’Arreon Toles documented a confrontation between himself and a female tenant at the...
NEW: Worker suffers electrical shock at Gardens construction site
NEW: Worker suffers electrical shock at Gardens construction site

A worker at a construction site suffered an electric shock Monday afternoon, Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue reports.  The incident happened at about 2:30 p.m. at a construction site on Hood Road, near the Franklin Academy charter school. The worker sustained minor injuries,  Fire Rescue Deputy Chief of Operations Shon Broedell said. ...
LATEST: State drops unrelated marijuana charge on teen involved in fatal crash
LATEST: State drops unrelated marijuana charge on teen involved in fatal crash

Prosecutors have dropped drug-possession charges against the teen driver at the center of a 2017 crash that killed a 13-year-old girl and sparked a legal fight over who is responsible and when. Jimmy Aguirre, now 19, had been charged in September with possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana, a third-degree felony. But in an Oct...
More Stories