O.J. Simpson granted parole in Las Vegas robbery case

The Nevada Parole Board voted unanimously Thursday to grant former football star O.J. Simpson parole in his 2008 conviction on charges including kidnapping and armed robbery. 

>> Read more trending news

Simpson is expected to leave the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada this fall after nine years behind bars, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The decision came down Thursday after Simpson, 70, spoke before the Nevada Parole Board, telling the four-person panel he was remorseful for his actions in 2007.

“I haven’t made any excuses in the nine years I’ve been here, and I’m not trying to make an excuse now,” he said.

Simpson was sentenced to 33 years behind bars for his part in a 2007 armed robbery at a Las Vegas hotel room. He was found guilty on a dozen charges, including kidnapping.

Simpson claimed he confronted a pair of memorabilia collectors, Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, in 2007 in an attempt to recover items that had been stolen from him, according to The Associated Press. Among the mementos and memorabilia he hoped to recover were family photos and his first wife’s wedding ring.

Fromong spoke Thursday in favor of Simpson’s release and said he and Simpson had long ago made peace.

“We all make mistakes,” Fromong said. “O.J. made his. He’s been here and from what I’ve been told he’s been a model inmate. He’s been an example to others.”

Simpson had no disciplinary issues while behind bars and took numerous classes, according to testimony before the parole board. Simpson said he took a conflict resolution course that made a particular impact on him and said he had been called in to mediate issues between other inmates at the Lovelock Correction Center.

Nevada Board of Parole commissioner Susan Jackson held up thick stacks of letters at Thursday’s hearing, some of the hundreds of letters she said the board had received from Simpson’s supporters and detractors. Many of the letters mentioned Simpson’s 1995 acquittal in the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ron Goldman.

Jackson said the case would not be considered in Thursday’s deliberations.

Parole board commissioner Connie Bisbee said Simpson has plans to resettle in Florida, where he was living before his 2008 conviction.

Officials in Florida said in a statement that “if Nevada’s request meets all criteria, Florida must accept the transfer.”

“As is the case with any offender who transfers under this routine procedure, he will be assigned a Florida probation officer and will be supervised in accordance with the conditions of his parole,” said Michelle Glady, director of communications for the Florida Department of Corrections.

Simpson in 2013 was granted parole on the armed robbery conviction. Thursday’s hearing addressed the other 11 charges from his 2008 conviction, according to USA Today.

Simpson, a former football running back who has appeared in nearly two dozen movies and television shows, was found not guilty of murder in 1995 after Brown and Goldman were found stabbed to death outside Brown’s Los Angeles townhouse. The case, which captivated TV audiences around the globe, was dubbed the “Trial of the Century.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

NEW: No bond for man accused of stealing car with baby in backseat
NEW: No bond for man accused of stealing car with baby in backseat

A man accused of stealing a car with a baby in its backseat early Tuesday will remain in the Palm Beach County Jail until his next court hearing. Judge Ted Booras on Thursday denied bond on the kidnapping charge Marquise Sharkear Hudson is facing, even though Hudson declined to appear at his hearing. Hudson is accused of stealing a 2013 Kia Forte from...
NEW: Woman arrested in 2017 fatal shooting of man
NEW: Woman arrested in 2017 fatal shooting of man

A 28-year-old woman was arrested Thursday in the 2017 fatal shooting of a 26-year-old man in suburban West Palm Beach, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.  Ruby Martinez, 28, faces charges of manslaughter with a firearm and tampering with physical evidence in the death of Jamal Francis in March 2017. Martinez was arrested...
Cerabino: How Donald could Trump weekend’s ‘March for Our Lives’
Cerabino: How Donald could Trump weekend’s ‘March for Our Lives’

It’s great to be back in Florida. Up north, it was a little stormy … … but the weather here is beautiful as usual, and we’re looking forward to a very productive weekend. As you all know, I have been the only elected leader in America who isn’t afraid to stand up to the folks at the National Rifle Association...
NEW: Popular ‘escape room’ coming to Boynton Beach
NEW: Popular ‘escape room’ coming to Boynton Beach

By way of an entrepreneurial Boynton Beach resident, an international escape room franchise is opening the first business of its kind in the city. Michael Watts, a realtor and instructional coach for a Boynton charter school, will open Novus Escape Room with his business partner, Aldo Trevino...
Islands near at hand in the Lake Worth Lagoon
Islands near at hand in the Lake Worth Lagoon

It may look like a big clump of sand but evolution takes time. In this case, that sand, shipped from a dredging site a few miles north, will form five islands off the El Cid neighborhood. They’ll be seeded with sea grass, red mangrove saplings and smooth cordgrass, providing habitat for fish and sea birds. There’ll also be a handful of...
More Stories