NEW: Boynton police say man tried to lure girl, 13, into truck


City police are warning residents about a man who tried to lure a 13-year-old girl into his truck Tuesday after she got off her school bus.

At about 4:40 p.m., the girl was at the intersection of Chapel Hill Drive and Fernwood Drive, just north of Mission Hill Road, waiting for her stepfather to pick her up when a newer model black pickup with a “4x4” emblem on the side pulled up.

Related: PBSO seeks man accused of trying to lure child into car

The man rolled down the window and said: “How much will I get for $200?”

The girl said she was 13 and that she didn’t know him. The man said that didn’t matter and told her to get in the truck. Police said he repeated that several times, and when he began to get out of the truck, the girl reached into her backpack and said she was calling the police.

The man quickly drove away.

Sign up for The Post’s Boynton Beach newsletter.

“We are urging parents to talk about this incident with their children and devise a plan for what they should do if approached by a stranger in a vehicle,” said Stephanie Slater, Boynton Beach police spokeswoman.

Parents should teach children to watch for descriptive stickers or other items on the car, and to memorize the license plate or a few of its letters or numbers. “If they have a phone, tell them to immediately call 911 and run away,” Slater said.

Police are urging residents be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles near bus stops and wherever else children congregate, and to notify police of them.

“We need you to be our extra eyes and ears,” Slater said.

This is the third incident in the past year in which Boynton Beach residents have reported that men unknown to them tried to lure children into a vehicle, following ones on East Palm Drive in December and on Northeast First Lane in July. The vehicles used in those incidents were different from the one reported Tuesday.

Anyone with information about the vehicle or the man is asked to call Boynton police at (561) 732-8116.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Dramatic Miami-Dade police video shows shootout at Trump Doral resort
Dramatic Miami-Dade police video shows shootout at Trump Doral resort

The Miami-Dade Police Department has released dramatic body-cam video from an officer who rushed into the lobby of the Trump Doral resort during a shootout with an armed man at 1:39 a.m. on May 18. Police identified the shooter as Jonathan Oddi, 42. Four days later, a motive for the bizarre incident has not been revealed. The video begins with...
WATCH: Florida man puts ex-girlfriend in trunk, leads deputies on 120 mph chase
WATCH: Florida man puts ex-girlfriend in trunk, leads deputies on 120 mph chase

A man was arrested after deputies said he punched his ex-girlfriend, put her in the trunk of a car, and then lead authorities on a 120 mph chase. The incident began Monday night in DeLand when Darrian Miller, 42, demanded his ex-girlfriend to drive him somewhere, WKMG reports. She complied, but after arriving at a food market Miller told her to...
NEW: West Palm green-lights all-options-open plan for transportation future
NEW: West Palm green-lights all-options-open plan for transportation future

The city has adopted an outline for a transportation future that puts trolley and bus riders, bicyclists and walkers on a more even footing with cars. In unanimously approving the mobility plan Tuesday night, the city commission overstepped criticism the consultant-driven plan was an unrealistic and expensive road map for congestion. The mayor...
NEW: ‘No-swim’ advisory lifted for Lake Worth Beach
NEW: ‘No-swim’ advisory lifted for Lake Worth Beach

Health officials have lifted a ‘no-swim’ advisory that was issued last week for Lake Worth Beach.  Recent test results showed moderate levels of bacteria, making the water quality satisfactory, the Palm Beach County health department said Tuesday.  Swimmers are still encouraged to rinse off with fresh water after swimming...
Boynton historic home-turned-restaurant plan hits another snag
Boynton historic home-turned-restaurant plan hits another snag

A restaurant won’t be opening at the historic Oscar Magnuson home anytime soon. Boynton Beach’s Community Redevelopment Agency sold the home to Shovel Ready Projects about two years ago and the company still has not received its building permit, according to an email from CRA Director Mike Simon. City officials have gone back and forth...
More Stories