Brightline opposition group to hold meeting tonight in Stuart


Citizens Against Rail Expansion in Florida — a group that has spent years fighting to block Brightline’s northern expansion to Orlando — will hold a public meeting tonight in Stuart to discuss its battle against the private rail project.

The meeting begins at 7 p.m. and will be held at the Lyric Theatre, 59 SW Flagler Boulevard. It is open to the public.

Brent Hanlon, the CARE FL’s chairman, Bob Crandall, a member of CARE FL’s steering committee and the former president, chairman and CEO of American Airlines; and Steve Ryan, CARE FL’s attorney are expected to attend the meeting.

RELATED: If people die when Brightline sounds horn, what happens with no horn?

Last week, Brightline’s President and Chief Operating Officer Patrick Goddard urged CARE FL and its members to help spread the company’s safety message. Brightline has increased it public outreach campaign after its trains hit three people in an eight-day span. In all three incidents, police said those hit did not heed warning lights and crossing gates at the intersections.

“What better way to communicate this message than to drop our political differences in the interest of working together for the betterment of our communities, schools and residents,” Goddard wrote in the Jan. 23 letter to Hanlon. “A partnership like this would establish an unparalleled example of compromise and commitment to doing what is right.”

RELATED: Call for safer railroad crossings could cost Brightline $350 million

In a single-page response on Monday, Hanlon said the deaths show it will take more than a public awareness campaign to “address the dangers” of Brightline’s trains.

“Adequately protecting the public from faster moving trains they are not accustomed to requires infrastructure changes and high-tech improvements along the rail corridor and at its many at grade crossings,” Hanlon wrote. “These costs should not be heaped on the local communities by way of maintenance bills for millions of dollars in the future.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry donate royal wedding flowers to hospice patients

Patients at St. Joseph's Hospice in London received a special gift after Saturday's royal wedding. According to People magazine, Britain's Prince Harry and bride Meghan Markle, now the Duchess of Sussex, gave the hospice some flowers that had been used to decorate St. George's Chapel for their ceremony. "Today we got a very special delivery. Beautiful...
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103
Original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star Patricia Morison dead at 103

Patricia Morison, who played the shrewish lead role in the 1948 Cole Porter Broadway musical “Kiss Me, Kate,” died Sunday, Variety reported. She was 103.  Morison also appeared on stage with Yul Brynner in “The King and I” and starred in films such as “The Song of Bernadette.” She also appeared as Basil...
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise
Wellington deals with ‘exceptional’ rainfall, water levels expected to rise

As rain continues to pound Palm Beach County, Wellington is working to mitigate the effects as days of storms add up.  The village received more than 4 inches of rain from Saturday afternoon through Sunday, Wellington said in a news release. “The village has received an exceptional amount of rainfall over the last four weeks,&rdquo...
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond
LATEST: Man charged in Boynton drive-by that injures teen gets $20,000 bond

An 18-year-old boy who allegedly shot and injured a teen in Boynton Beach Wednesday night was given a $20,000 bond by a Palm Beach County Court judge Saturday morning. Cleevens Altiner was arrested Friday and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill and aggravated battery with a firearm. The judge ordered a $10...
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 
Accused Santa Fe shooter won't get death penalty -- and could get paroled someday 

Even though Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged as an adult in the mass shooting at a southeastern Texas high school Friday, he will not face the death penalty and could even be eligible for parole someday, the Houston Chronicle reported. Pagourtzis, 17, a high school junior, admitted to the shootings that killed 10 and wounded 13, according to court...
More Stories