Happy 105th birthday, Lake Worth.
Well, belated birthday. The town, according to our records, was officially incorporated on June 14, 1913.
But it had been there for years before under a variety of monikers: Jewel (or Jewell), Lucerne, Linton and for a mercifully brief time: Lakeworth. (No, that’s not a typo.)
In 2012, there was a campaign to change the name to Lake Worth Beach. Fortunately, that effort was mercifully brief, too.
But many things have changed in the town over the years, as these photos prove.
The above 1938 image of main drag Lake Avenue shows a downtown with a lively sense of nomenclature. The Toggery Shop. The Periwinkle Inn. And our favorite motto, from Paul’s City Cleaners and Laundry — “We dye to live.” (Eagle-eyed longtimers will recognize the old Central Market and Table Supply grocery stores, as well as the Oakley Theatre, which is now the Lake Worth Playhouse and Stonzek Theater.)
Here are some more flashbacks:
Who remembers when big signs downtown directed visitors to the Atlantic Ocean and Lake Worth beach casino and pier?
And here’s the beach back in the early 1920s, and the casino pool in the 1930s or ’40s.
Long before the trolley, there was a VW Jitney Bus. (Or maybe they should call it the Jitney Bug.)
Who remembers when there was a shuffleboard court in front of what is now City Hall?
Who remembers the old Greyhound bus station, in both its prime and its demise?
In this 1981 photo, there was no big fish on top of Tuppen’s at Dixie and 10th Avenue North.
Finally: Downtown. Beer. Hey, some things never change.