Kevin Spacey’s Netflix show ‘House of Cards’ to end with sixth season


“House of Cards” is ending with its upcoming sixth season.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the end of the series had been in the works during the summer. Deadline reported that Netflix and production company Media Rights Capital were leaning toward ending the show, but cast and crew were made aware of the news with calls Monday morning. 

>> Read more trending news

The news comes after an allegation that Kevin Spacey, one of the stars of the Netflix show, made a sexual advance on 46-year-old actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was 14.

Related: Kevin Spacey accused of past sexual misconduct with then-14-year-old actor

The Netflix drama, which stars Spacey and Robin Wright as ambitious Washington political couple Frank and Claire Underwood, will end in 2018 with 13 episodes. 

Spacey, an executive producer on the show, responded to Rapp’s allegations -- which were reported by BuzzFeed News -- with a statement, in which he said he doesn’t remember the encounter and apologized for “what would have been deeply inappropriate, drunken behavior.”

">pic.twitter.com/X6ybi5atr5

— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017

At the end of his statement, Spacey came out as gay, which was heavily criticized by GLAAD and number of actors in the LGBT community who said the statement conflated homosexuality with his alleged actions.

BuzzFeed News said it contacted Spacey’s reps multiple times for comment on the report, but did not hear back from his team.

Related: Who is Anthony Rapp? 7 things to know about the actor, singer

Beau Willimon, creator of the show, exited last year. In response to the allegations, Willimon said Rapp’s story is “deeply troubling.”

“During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off,” Willimon said. “That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.”

Deadline reported that Netflix and Media Rights Capital issued a joint statement in response to the allegations against Spacey:

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

School superintendent recorded in racist rant, lawsuit says
School superintendent recorded in racist rant, lawsuit says

The superintendent of the city of Buford’s school district in metro Atlanta used racist language and spoke of wanting to kill black construction workers who had angered him, according to accusations in a race-discrimination lawsuit. >> Read more trending news  The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Atlanta, includes audio...
Woman credits dog for saving her from possible abduction
Woman credits dog for saving her from possible abduction

A woman from Volusia County, Florida,  said her dog saved her life when a stranger tried to abduct her during a walk in a neighborhood. Deanna Moore said she was walking her dog, a 14-year-old golden retriever named Sandy, Friday night in a Deltona neighborhood, when she said she heard a car pull up behind her on a street but did not think anything...
Shanann Watts’ girls may have been dead when she got home, husband’s charges show
Shanann Watts’ girls may have been dead when she got home, husband’s charges show

Shanann Watts’ father sobbed in a Colorado courtroom Tuesday as a judge recited the charges against his son-in-law -- charges that indicate detectives believe Chris Watts may have killed his children before his pregnant wife returned home from a business trip.  Chris Watts, 33, of Frederick, was charged Monday with nine felony charges...
Cohen pleads guilty to 8 charges, says he paid Stormy Daniels, Karen McDougal at Trump's direction
Cohen pleads guilty to 8 charges, says he paid Stormy Daniels, Karen McDougal at Trump's direction

President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney, Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty Tuesday to eight charges, including multiple counts of tax evasion and a campaign finance charge stemming from so-called “hush money” payments made to adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal. Cohen, 51, entered...
Read the documents from Michael Cohen’s guilty plea
Read the documents from Michael Cohen’s guilty plea

President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer plead guilty to eight criminal charges in a federal court on Tuesday, as Michael Cohen told a federal judge that he paid money to two women – to keep them quiet just before the 2016 elections – at the direction of a specific candidate for federal office, and coordinated...
More Stories