Two Royal Palm Beach restaurants  cited for sanitation-related violations

Jan 31, 2018
Restaurant inspections

Red House and Shane’s Rib Shack, both restaurants in Royal Palm Beach, were temporarily shut down last week after state inspectors found numerous violations, including small flies or gnats at one and both dead and live roaches at the other.

Red House, a Chinese eatery at 10373 Southern Blvd., was ordered closed Jan. 25 until the 26 violations were corrected, a Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation report states. No follow-up inspection report has been filed, which indicates the restaurant has not been allowed to re-open.

WHAT DO RESTAURANT HEALTH INSPECTION SCORES MEAN?

The restaurant did not respond to a request for comment. Wednesday, a message on the restaurant’s answering machine said, “We are closed for now.”

Red House was cited for five high-priority violations, including a dozen live roaches spotted in the kitchen, the report states.

High-priority violations are those which could contribute directly to food-borne illness or injury.

Other high-priority violations at Red House included:

•Operating with an expired Division of Hotels and Restaurants license. The restaurant’s operator paid the license on the phone during the inspection.

•An improperly stored container of medicine

•Cold bean sprouts held at greater than the required 41 degrees.

•Wiping cloth sanitizer that exceeds the maximum concentration of chlorine.

Red House’s intermediate violations included hand-wash sink issues, improper food cooling methods, a reach-in cooler with food residue and a lack of paper towels at a sink.

The 16 basic violations ranged from dead roaches in the kitchen to damaged ceiling tiles to a build-up of food debris in the bulk containers.

Other basic violations found at Red House included a bathroom that did not have tight-fitting doors, a buildup of grease on a fryer, a case of onions stored on the floor in a cooler and several cutting boards with so many cut marks that they were no longer cleanable.

Shane’s Rib Shack, 11051 Southern Blvd. was cited for 10 violations on Jan. 24 and ordered closed. An inspector allowed the restaurant to re-open Thursday, even though four basic violations remained. Those were not deemed a threat to the public.

Monday an employee referred calls to owner Pamela Oxenburg, who did not return call and message left on her cell phone.

While at Shane’s, the inspector noted more than three dozen live small flying insects in the kitchen and dining room. Flies were observed landing on tables and the beverage machine in the dining room where customers were seated. A cook was preparing food on a cutting board while flies were landing on the cutting board and the table.

Shane’s other high priority violations were:

•Chemicals stored with single-service items.

•Spray cleaner on a prep table.

Shane’s was cited for an intermediate violation due to a server washing bottles in a hand-washing sink.

Basic violations ranged from soiled, damaged and missing ceiling tiles to an exhaust system with missing filters and soiled reach-in cooler gaskets.