Francisco Javier Gonzalez, the manager of the Pizza Al Fresco restaurant on Palm Beach’s Worth Avenue who was facing the risk of deportation under President Donald Trump’s new immigration policy, has been given a 3-month reprieve, his attorney announced on Thursday.
Gonzalez was scheduled to check in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers in Broward County on Friday morning, at which point he could have faced deportation, but Boynton Beach attorney Richard Hujber said the meeting has been delayed for 3 months.
A Change.org petition created by Hujber last week to raise awareness about Gonzalez’s case had more than 8,400 signatures on Thursday.
In an update posted on the petition just before 7 p.m. Thursday, Hujber said there was “no doubt” that the petition helped win Gonzalez an extension.
“It appears that they have recognized the vast efforts we have made on his behalf, and the amazing support from the South Florida community, as well as people from all around the world - all in support of this urgent and compelling case,” Hujber wrote. “Javier and his family thank everyone who took the time and effort to sign the petition, and also make calls and share this petition with so many others.”