Local spots to unwind within 50 miles of West Palm Beach
We all need a little R&R now and then to soothe the body and soul. Somewhere near the beach would do the trick. Or perhaps somewhere to reconnect with nature in a lush tropical garden. Maybe a pampering spa resort is what we need.
But if you have to travel too far to get to and from your happy place, some of the newly found calm you find there can be destroyed on the long, sometimes nerve-racking drive home.
Not to worry. We’ve found five relaxing getaways within 50 miles of West Palm Beach. So get packing — and give peace a chance.
Sabal Palm House Bed and Breakfast/LAKE WORTH
Think you have to pay top dollar for a high-end resort to be pampered? Then you haven’t heard about the Sabal Palm House Bed and Breakfast. From turndown service and fresh flowers to freshly baked cookies, afternoon tea and gourmet breakfasts, this Lake Worth inn delivers it all.
The seven-room B&B, with views of the Lake Worth Municipal Golf Course and the Intracoastal, is minutes from the beach (beach chairs and towels are free to borrow) and within walking distance are restaurants, galleries and stores, including antiques and collectible shops.
Innkeepers will gladly bring in a licensed massage therapist for an in-room massage or make reservations for dinner, a play or golf. Rooms come with spa robes, ironed (high-thread-count) sheets and luxury toiletries.
Guest rooms are named after famous artists and have private baths and balconies. Breakfast is served on fine china. Wine, bottled water and soft drinks are complimentary.Four guest rooms, including the premier Renoir Suite, are in the main house, a two-story, Key West-style home built in 1936. Other rooms are in the carriage house behind the main house.
Sundy House/DELRAY BEACH
Dinners and weekend brunches draw crowds to the Sundy House, once home to the city’s first mayor and on the National Register of Historic Places. But this location has more to offer than globally inspired dishes and an extensive wine list. Sundy’s exquisite tropical gardens, with freshwater swimming pond, and more than 5,000 plants and 500 different plant species, offers guests a perfect place to relax and enjoy nature. A romantic spot, for sure, the Sundy House is the site of at least 75 weddings a year — and many marriage proposals.
The property includes a bungalow-style inn with 11 rooms/suites. Guest rooms have hand-painted details, original artwork, fine bed linens and natural themes reflecting the lush landscape.
The inn is a short stroll away from Atlantic Avenue shops, galleries and restaurants and a short drive to the beach.
Crane’s Beach House/DELRAY BEACH
You could drive right on by this Key West-style boutique hotel hidden by a perimeter of tropical trees and a block west of the beach. The inn, with its 28 distinctive suites, studios and villas, two pools, tiki bars and lush outdoor environment, never feels crowded. Your blood pressure can dip just walking onto the grounds!
Innkeepers will personalize vacations with activities that could include anything from visits to the Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens or Lion Country Safari to taking a helicopter ride or going paddleboarding. Or, you could just stretch out on a lounge chair by one of the two pools or in a private hammock, catch up on your beach reading and sip a cool tropical drink.
Restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance.
Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa/JUPITER
With 1,000 feet of secluded shoreline, restaurants, fire pits, pool and spa, the Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa has much to offer those looking for a relaxing, pampering vacation. The resort is close to golf courses, restaurants, a fine theater and shops.
Guests can splash in the Atlantic Ocean, play basketball or tennis, workout in the fitness center, watch movies by the pool at night or take a guided turtle walk.
For some serious pampering, book a full-body massage to soothe tight muscles or a facial to make your skin glow. And be sure to save some time to chill in the resort’s “adult only” hammock garden on the beach.
This seaside resort is all about barefoot elegance here and you may never want leave.
Inn Shepard’s Park Bed and Breakfast/STUART
Here on the east coast of Florida, we take our glorious sunrises for granted. But at Inn Shepard’s Park Bed and Breakfast (which is, as its name suggests, in Shepard’s Park), the sunsets are equally stunning. You can watch the sun set over Frazier Creek each evening. Have a glass of wine to toast the day and prepare for the next.
The Key West-style B&B is in the Heart of The River Front Village and near historic downtown Stuart shops, restaurants and entertainment.
Besides sunset watching and complimentary breakfast, the inn boasts a backyard garden and a lovely wraparound porch with comfy wicker chairs. Kayaks, bicycles, beach gear and coolers are available for guests to use.
• Save money by booking a getaway between Monday and Thursday. Ask about last-minute deals.
• Innkeepers are local experts and can direct you to restaurants and attractions you may not have heard about before.
• Ask about complimentary services such as free use of bikes, beach towels, coolers and beach chairs
WHERE TO STAY
• Sabal Palm House Bed and Breakfast, 109 N. Golfview Road, Lake Worth, 561-582-1090.
• Sundy House, 106 S. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach, 561-272-5678.
• Crane’s Beach House, 82 Gleason St., Delray Beach, 561-372-7263.
• Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa, 5 N. A1A, Jupiter, 877-389-0571.
• Inn Shepard’s Park Bed and Breakfast, 601 S.W. Ocean Blvd., Stuart, 772-781-4244.
WHERE TO EAT
• Paradiso, 625 Lucerne Ave., Lake Worth, 561-547-2500.
• Sundy House restaurant, 106 S. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach, 561-272-5678.
• Caffe Luna Rosa, 34 S. Ocean Blvd., Delray Beach, 561-274-9404.
• Guanabanas, 960 N. A1A, Jupiter, 561-747-8878.
• TheSailor’s Return, 625 S.W. Anchorage Way, Stuart, 772-872-7250.
WHAT TO SEE
• Kayak in the Snook Islands, 1 Seventh Ave., N., Lake Worth.
• Lady Atlantic or Lady Delray Intracoastal cruises, docked at Veterans Park, 801 N.E. First St., Delray Beach, 561-243-0686.
• Sandoway Discovery Center, 142 S. Ocean Blvd., Delray Beach, 561-274-7263.
• Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse & Museum, 500 Captain Armour’s Way, Jupiter, 561-747-8380.
• Lady Stuart Deep Sea Fishing, 555 N.E. Ocean Blvd., Stuart, 772-286-1860.
Don’t forget it. Pin it!