UK lawmakers: Not enough evidence to probe Blair over Iraq


Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair won't face an investigation into whether he misled Parliament before the 2003 Iraq invasion unless new evidence emerges, a committee of lawmakers said Thursday.

A seven-year official inquiry into the war cleared Blair of allegations that he had made a "personal and demonstrable decision to deceive Parliament or the public," Parliament's Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee said.

The committee said that several probes into the divisive war don't "provide a sufficient basis" for a parliamentary investigation.

The decision to enter the U.S.-led war was the most contentious act of Blair's decade as prime minister between 1997 and 2007. By the time British combat forces left Iraq in 2009, the conflict had killed 179 U.K. troops, almost 4,500 U.S. personnel and more than 100,000 Iraqis.

The Iraq War Inquiry led by retired civil servant John Chilcot concluded last year that Blair led Britain into the war through a mix of flawed intelligence, inadequate planning and poor judgment. But it refrained from saying whether the invasion was legal and didn't accuse Blair of deliberately misleading the public or Parliament.

The parliamentary committee said that there still aren't strong measures to prevent a prime minister from sidelining senior Cabinet colleagues when deciding to go to war.

Committee chairman Bernard Jenkin said that before the Iraq invasion, "there was a lack of collective Cabinet decision-making, at a time when clear thinking and a culture of challenge was most needed."

"The failure to engage Cabinet on such decisions cannot be allowed to happen again, but there is no mechanism to ensure that," he said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Lena Dunham slammed for defending 'Girls' producer accused of rape
Lena Dunham slammed for defending 'Girls' producer accused of rape

Social media users are slamming actress and “Girls” creator Lena Dunham after she defended one of the show’s producers, Murray Miller, following allegations that he raped a teen actress, Page Six reports. “Life comes at you fast @lenadunham,” S.E. Cupp tweeted with a screenshot of one of Dunham's previous...
'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'
'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

"Saturday Night Live" slammed Sen. Al Franken just days after Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden accused the Minnesota Democrat and former "SNL" cast member of groping and kissing her without her consent during a 2006 USO tour. Colin Jost and Michael Che took aim at the comedian-turned-senator during the show's "Weekend...
'Project Runway' contestant Wendy Pepper dead at 53
'Project Runway' contestant Wendy Pepper dead at 53

Anne Eustis Pepper Stewart, known as Wendy Pepper, has died at the age of 53, Page Six reports. The “Project Runway” first season contestant “died peacefully" Nov. 12 while "surrounded by her loving family," according to her obituary. The news comes just one month after the death of fellow contestant...
Suspect named in Pennsylvania police officer's shooting death
Suspect named in Pennsylvania police officer's shooting death

Here’s what we know about the fatal shooting of a New Kensington, Pennsylvania, police officer: >> Read more trending news
Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open
Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open

The Florida residence tennis star Venus Williams calls home was burglarized as she played in the U.S. Open in September, according to a Palm Beach Gardens police report released Thursday. Though what was taken from the home at BallenIsles Country Club is redacted from the report, police indicate more than $400,000 worth of items were taken...
More Stories