China’s president, Xi Jinping, is coming to town. He will meet with President Donald Trump later this week at Mar-a-Lago and spend Thursday night at the Eau Palm Beach resort in Manalapan.
So who is Xi? here are five things to know.
1. He is 63 years old and hails from the capital city, Beijing.
2. He is the first sitting Chinese leader to become a published author. His 2014 book is appropriately titled, The Governance of China.
3. Governance of China apparently was a must-read at Facebook. The social media platform’s founder, Mark Zuckerberg, showed a copy to Chinese Internet leader, Lu Wei, when Wei visited Facebook’s HQ. Media reports at the time said Zuckerberg told Wei a copy of the book had been given to each Facebook employee.
4. It’s been reported that Xi’s ascension last year to “core” leader status in China ranks him among the most powerful leaders in the annals of the People’s Republic. Other core leaders included Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping.
5. Xi serves a president of the PRC and general secretary of the country’s communist party. He has backed privatization-fueled reforms and crackdowns on corruption. But he’s also exerted China’s influence and claims in the South China Sea.