One of Steve LeBrun’s biggest goals this year was to play in next week’s Honda Classic, a tournament the West Palm Beach native calls “my fifth major.”
That dream will likely be postponed at least another year.
With only the top 64 players eligible to compete this week in the WGC-Accenture Match Play event, the PGA Tour has essentially completed the reshuffling of its exempt list after the first six full-field events, a process that has left LeBrun out of the Honda field.
LeBrun’s remaining hope is to do well in the Monday qualifier at Mayacoo Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach.
“I kind of knew at the start of the year that I had to do something in these early events,” said LeBrun, who has made only one cut in five tournaments, dropping him from a tie for second among players coming out of Qualifying School to 41st. “I never did, and a lot of the guys below me in my category have moved ahead of me.”
At last count, the Honda field had room for only 16 players on the Q School list.
Knowing he needed a good showing at last week’s Northern Trust Open in Los Angeles to keep his Honda hopes alive, LeBrun opened with a 76 before rebounding with a two-under-par 69 to miss the cut by one stroke.
“I missed a couple of 5-footers on the back nine (Friday) that could have done it,” he said. “I haven’t gotten in a real groove with my putter all year, but that’s putting.
“I’ve had plenty of chances every week out there, where I needed a birdie and got a bogey and that was it.”
LeBrun, 34, who has won just over $10,000 on the PGA Tour so far this year, said he’s willing to compete on the Web.com Tour for now and will try his luck with other Monday qualifiers at upcoming stops on the Florida swing starting with Tampa on March 11.
“I’ve got a place to play, so I’m still in a better position than I’ve been in most of my career,” he said.