As a teenager in Colombia, Marlins second baseman Donovan Solano heard the same thing every time he showed up at a baseball field for a tryout.
“Everybody would say, ‘You’re too small,’ ’’ said Solano, who is 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds, one of the smallest players in a sport that emphasizes size and strength.
Subscribers get total access to this story, and all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive content. Subscribe today, or try a 24-hour or 7-day digital pass.
All Day Access — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
All Week Access – 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7 days
All Access, All the Time – Print & DigitalView Offers
Post Print Subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
Registered Post Subscriber — Sign me in.Sign In
Cardinals 2, Marlins 0 (in Jupiter)
• Right-hander Jacob Turner struck out two and allowed two hits over three scoreless innings. The last time he faced the Cardinals he allowed six runs in one-third of an inning. His ERA dropped to from 162.00 to 16.20.
• CF Justin Ruggiano made his Grapefruit League debut and played five innings. He struck out twice but reported no discomfort in his back.
• RHP Adam Wainwright struck out six in 4 2/3 scoreless innings. He allowed three hits, two to the first two batters of the game giving Miami runners at first and third. He struck out the side in the second inning.
Nationals 8, Marlins 7 (in Viera)
• RHP Jose Fernandez made his Grapefruit League debut with a relief appearance in the sixth and seventh innings. He allowed one hit and struck out two batters.
• LHP Brad Hand gave up back-to-back home runs to Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman in the fifth inning.
• Christian Yelich went 2-for-3 with two RBIs and two walks. He drew a bases-loaded walk in the fourth inning.