You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myPalmBeachPost.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myPalmBeachPost.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myPalmBeachPost.com.

See renderings: Work starts in April on new Southern Blvd. bridges


Highlights

FDOT to start replacement project of Southern Boulevard causeway bridges in April 2017

Plans are moving forward for an April start to replace the Southern Boulevard bridges, despite this week’s announcement that the completion of the Flagler Memorial Bridge, three-and-a-half miles to the north, will be delayed until June.

About 100 locals packed a St. Catherine Greek Orthodox Church meeting room Wednesday evening, at the western foot of the bridge to Palm Beach, to look at plans, diagrams and artists’ renderings and quiz FDOT officials about the upcoming project.

Related: President Trump to arrive in West Palm Beach this evening

The original plan called for holding off on the Southern construction until after the Flagler Memorial Bridge was done, to avoid clogging traffic to and from the island. But FDOT spokesperson Barbara Kelleher said the early months of work on the Southern causeway will focus on installing a partly pre-fabricated temporary bridge just north of the main Southern bridge and won’t limit traffic on the old one for now.

Related: Downtown West Palm ‘transit hub’ up for a vote

The $93 million Southern project involves replacing two bridges — the main drawbridge on the West Palm Beach side and the low-slung tide relief bridge, next to — and in fact touching — Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club property. The project is scheduled for completion in late 2020.

The new bridges will be wider and safer for cars, bicycles and pedestrians, and at 21-feet high at mean high tide, four feet taller for boats. The additional height means the approach, at the intersection of Southern and South Flagler Drive, will be built up by three feet to meet the new bridge.

COMPLETE COVERAGE: President Trump in West Palm Beach

The main bridge will have one 12-foot-wide traffic lane in each direction, a 10-foot-wide bike lane on each side, and, behind a barrier, a six-foot-wide sidewalk on each side.

Boats on the Intracoastal Waterway will be able to pass under the bridge, with openings on the quarter- and three-quarter-hour. And the public will still be able to use the scenic causeway park during construction, though parts of it might be closed off to accommodate work vehicles and equipment, she said.

Read: High-speed rail service starts in July

When the president’s motorcade needs to get through, the Secret Service will notify the project manager to make sure the bridges are passable, she said.

If you’re worried about the president’s ability to get a good night’s rest, Kelleher said current plans call for all work to take place on weekdays, during daylight hours. Any weekend work would have to be approved by the Town of Palm Beach, she said, but so far there’s no weekend work scheduled. In any event, work on the tide relief bridge, next to Mar-a-Lago’s tennis courts isn’t scheduled to start until August 2018.

More meetings will be scheduled to update the public as work progresses, Kelleher said.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

UPDATE: Search to continue for missing swimmer reported off Lantana Beach
UPDATE: Search to continue for missing swimmer reported off Lantana Beach

The search for a missing swimmer off Lantana Beach is expected to continue Monday morning, according to WPTV. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue suspended the search overnight.  INITIAL REPORT 9:25 p.m. Sunday: Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is responding to reports of a missing a swimmer. Crews are reported to be searching the ocean off ...
JUST IN: Man injured in fall from Jupiter boat ramp
JUST IN: Man injured in fall from Jupiter boat ramp

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue transported a man to a hospital Sunday after he fell from a boat ramp. At 8:30 p.m., crews responded to  Burt Reynolds Park in the 800 block of U.S. 1, where a man fell off a boat ramp. The man was taken to a hospital for treatment. His identification and condition are not known.
JUST IN: Driver flees after killing 51-year-old pedestrian in Boynton
JUST IN: Driver flees after killing 51-year-old pedestrian in Boynton

Boynton Beach Police are investigating a hit-and-run that killed a 51-year-old pedestrian early Sunday. Naborina Palacios was hit by a white Hyundai Genesis when she was crossing the intersection of North Congress Avenue and West Gateway Boulevard at about 2:12 a.m., said Boynton Beach Police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater. Palacios had been...
BREAKING: Missing diver’s body found off Broward County
BREAKING: Missing diver’s body found off Broward County

The body of a missing diver was found this afternoon off Broward County. The Broward County Sheriff’s Office reported that Antonio Almeida, 60, went missing Saturday when he failed to surface about half a mile east of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. The Sheriff’s Office Marine Unit located the body today after multiple Coast Guard crews and a helicopter...
UPDATE: 7 near-drownings Sunday on Palm Beach County beaches
UPDATE: 7 near-drownings Sunday on Palm Beach County beaches

Five people in Riviera Beach and two in Lake Worth were transported to hospitals Sunday after nearly drownings in seperate incidents. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue crews responded at 5:16 p.m. to 10 South Ocean Ave at Lake Worth Beach to a teenage male and a man nearly drowning, said Palm Beach County Fire Rescue spokesman Albert Borroto...
More Stories