There was no early voting in Florida until 2002, when lines around the block at polling places immediately proved the experiment a success.
So much so that eight years later, when the Republican-controlled Legislature curtailed early voting days and eliminated it the Sunday before elections — a popular time for minorities with a tradition of after-church, souls-to-the-polls trips — a public uproar led lawmakers to reverse course.
Subscribers get total access to this story, and all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive content. Subscribe today, or try a 24-hour or 7-day digital pass.
Registered Post Subscriber — Sign me in.Sign In
Post Print Subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
All Day Access — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
All Week Access — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7 days
All Access, All the Time — Print & DigitalView Offers
Staff Writer John Kennedy contributed to this story.
EXCLUSIVE ELECTION SERIES
Need help choosing? Get all The Post’s election coverage at PalmBeachPost.com/elections.
VOTING IN 2012
Key numbers from Palm Beach County’s 2012 general election:
Total votes cast: 605,881
Total early voters: 125,001
Democratic early voters: 69,669
Republican early voters: 29,166
Other early voters: 26,166
SOURCE: Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections
When: 10 a.m-6 p.m. daily, Monday-Aug. 24.
What to bring: Current photo and signature ID. The supervisor of elections also recommends that you bring a sample ballot already marked with your choices: “You can transfer your choices onto your actual ballot, feed it into the optical scanner and get quickly on your way.”
Know your candidates: Coverage of every race or referendum on any ballot in Palm Beach County at PalmBeachPost.com/elections.
- Supervisor of Elections Office, 240 S. Military Trail, West Palm Beach.
- Acreage Branch Library, 15801 Orange Blvd., Loxahatchee.
- Belle Glade Branch Library, 725 N.W. Fourth St., Belle Glade.
- Ezell Hester Community Center, 1901 N. Seacrest Blvd., Boynton Beach.
- Gardens Branch Library, 11303 Campus Drive, Palm Beach Gardens.
- Hagen Ranch Road Branch Library, 14350 Hagen Ranch Road, Delray Beach.
- Jupiter Community Center, 200 Military Trail, Jupiter.
- Lantana Branch Library, 4020 Lantana Road, Lantana.
- Old Boca Raton Library, 200 N.W. Boca Raton Blvd., Boca Raton.
- Palm Beach County Convention Center, 650 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach.
- Wells Recreation and Community Center, 2409 Ave. H West, Riviera Beach.
- South County Civic Center, 16700 Jog Road, Delray Beach.
- Wellington Branch Library, 1951 Royal Fern Drive, Wellington.
- West Boca Branch Library, 18685 State Road 7 (U.S. 441), Boca Raton.