Superintendent says worker who resigned over ‘lunch shaming' never told to take away student's lunch



The policy, which affects students whose accounts are delinquent, has gained national attention since Stacy Koltiska went public, saying she resigned after having to enforce the new rules, which she considered a “lunch shaming” policy.   

Under the guidelines of the new policy, “After overdrawing the cafeteria account $25, students in grade K-six will be able to charge an alternate lunch, which will consist of a sandwich, a fruit/vegetable serving and milk. Students in grades seven-12 will not be allowed to charge any additional lunches.”

>> Read more trending stories    

Koltiska, who worked in the cafeteria at Wylandville Elementary School, told WPXI on Monday that she was told to take food away from a young boy because his lunch account was overdrawn by more than $25.  

“And he was like, ‘Oh, chicken!’ And his eyes welled up with tears and it was so heartbreaking and I'll never forget it,” she said.   Daniels disputed her claims.  

“It’s my understanding the kid never had tears in his or her eyes, and there was no food thrown away. And ultimately, the child ate a hot meal that day,” the superintendent said. “I would never stand by, knowing that we had humiliated or embarrassed a child. That is not OK, and that did not happen.”

>>Read: School lunch policy prompts resignation of cafeteria worker  

Daniels said the student did have a delinquent account earlier that week, but by lunchtime the day of the alleged incident, the boy’s balance was paid and he ate a hot meal.  

The Canon-McMillan School District is not the first in the area to implement such a policy.

Daniels said since implementing the policy, the district has seen overdrawn lunch balances shrink.  

“As of Aug. 11, we had 302 delinquent accounts that were at the $25 or over mark. As of Sept. 16 – three weeks in – those delinquent accounts went down to 66,” he said.  

Daniels said that no matter how much a student owes, no child will go hungry. He said the district will examine the program in the future.  

“Because of the heightened awareness of our policy, the board will look at whether there are other options to consider,” Daniels said.  

District leaders said applications for free and reduced lunch plans have also increased because of the new rules. They said they’ll look at the lunch policy again in October to see if anything needs to be changed. 


Reader Comments


Next Up in News

Palm Tran chief: New uniforms, sleeker buses part of “re-imaging” push
Palm Tran chief: New uniforms, sleeker buses part of “re-imaging” push
Even as he is getting his new management team in place, the head of Palm Tran Thursday rolled out the first phase of his ambitious plan to overhaul...
South Carolina school shooting: 2 children, teacher injured
South Carolina school shooting: 2 children, teacher injured
Two children and an adult were injured Wednesday afternoon after a gunman opened fire at an elementary school in South Carolina, according to...
Facial tattoos make Stuart man stand out in Palm Beach County Jail
Facial tattoos make Stuart man stand out in Palm Beach County Jail
Robert Hardister is facing auto theft charges — hardly the kind of thing that makes one stand out at the Palm Beach County Jail.
Palm Beach County OKs new, more stringent rules for child-care centers
Palm Beach County OKs new, more stringent rules for child-care centers
Days later, when Nelder Lester closed her eyes, she imagined her 2-year-old daughter, alone in the back of a baking van, gasping for breath.
Letters Bus debacle shows School District not a good fiscal steward
School District notgood fiscal stewardI see that Palm Beach County officials have already been planning on how they’re going to spend the windfall of...
More Stories

You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myPalmBeachPost.com.

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of free premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to myPalmBeachPost.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myPalmBeachPost.com.