The City of Delray Beach Parks and Recreation is offering several softball leagues. A competitive men’s league will begin July 18, a recreational men’s league will start July 16 and a coed league will start July 19. All leagues will play at Miller Park. Eight teams are being seeded for each league. Champions will get a T-shirt. For information, call 561-243-7255 or email Kwiatek@mydelraybeach.com.
The Palm Beach Zoo’s inaugural ‘Save the Tiger 5K’ will be held at 7:30 a.m. on May 11. The run, devoted to helping protect Malayan tigers from poachers and conserve their habitat, winds through Dreher Park and finishes inside the zoo at the Fountain Plaza. Four Malayan tiger are residents at the zoo including mom Berapi and her three offspring Jaya, Bunga and Penari. The certified and timed race coincides with the cubs’ second birthday and is open to runners of all ages. The first 500 participants to register will receive a special edition tiger-striped race T-shirt. Race fees vary from $20 to $40 based on age and time of registration. For information or to register, visit www.palmbeachzoo.org.
The Kiwanis Club of Boynton Beach’s 32nd Annual Fishing Tournament, which helps the club provide college scholarships to local high school students, will be held from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on May 18. Awards for the largest kingfish, wahoo and dolphin will be presented during a cookout at 5 p.m. at the Palm Beach Yacht Center in Hypoluxo. The cost is $175 per boat up to four anglers if paid by Tuesday; $225 if paid by May 13; and $250 until the registration deadline at 7 p.m. on May 17. Complete details and entry forms can be found online at boyntonbeachkiwanis.webs.com. For information, call 561-704-5005 or email email@example.com.
The Palm Beach Coralytes competitive synchronized swim team will host its annual water show “Fantasynchro” May 17-18 at Aqua Crest Pool. Gates open at 6 p.m. Admission price is $5 for adults and $3 for children over 3. For information, call Linda Coffin at 561-252-7400.
South East Japanese Karate is now in Boca Raton and is offering one week of free classes. Under the instruction of Sensei Ronald A. Browne, South East Japanese Karate offers classes in karate, women’s self defense, personal training, health, weight control, fitness and more. For information, call 561-305-2316 or visit www.sejapanesekarate.com.
Sandra Eriksson’s ‘Swing Cure Golf Clinic’ will run through April on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Delray Beach Golf Club. Bring the clubs you wish to improve on. $17 per session includes range fee. For information, call 561-704-6964.
The West Boynton Cobras 10U travel baseball team is looking for 1 or 2 players to add to their Spring/Summer roster. The team is seeking experienced travel-ball-caliber athletes who that are committed to playing many games and attending at least two practices per week. The athlete cannot be 11 as of May 1. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 561-945-4562.
The Club at Boca Pointe Athletic Center is offering the following tennis programs for members and nonmembers:
- Cardio Tennis on Thursday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Cost $17.
- Workout and Match Play on Tuesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Cost $25 cash.
- Teams for the upcoming South Palm Beach County Women’s Tennis Association 2013-14 season. Openings for divisions 3-6. For information, call 561-864-8529 or email email@example.com.
For information or to register for programs, call 561-864-8551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palm Beach Senior Softball (55+) is now registering players for pick-up games for their spring and summer seasons. Games are played at Caloosa Park in Boynton Beach and at Okeeheelee Park in West Palm Beach. For information, call 561-809-1555 or visit www.pbssasoftball.org.
The Prime Time Senior Softball League for players 55 and older is now drafting new players to round out its summer schedule, which runs from May through late August/early September. Games are played at John Prince Park in Lake Worth on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. For information, call 954-796-2640 or visit www.primetimeseniorsoftball.com.
The Greater Palm Beaches Women’s Slow-pitch Softball League is accepting team and player registration for its Spring 2013 season. Games are played on Sunday afternoons at Howard Park in West Palm Beach. For information, call 561-758-8082 or email email@example.com.
Elite Line Dancing will offer Soul Line Dancing classes at the Wells Recreation Center in Riviera Beach on Mondays, the Gaines Park Recreation Center in West Palm Beach on Fridays, the Ezell Hester Community Center in Boynton Beach on Tuesdays and St. Matthews Parrish Hall in Delray Beach on Wednesdays. All classes are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. except the classes at St. Matthews which run 7 to 8:30 p.m. Each class costs $5 and gym shoes are required. For information, visit www.soullinedancing.net.
The City of Delray Beach Parks and Recreation Department karate class will be offered Tuesdays 3-4:30 p.m. at Veterans Park. The class is open to ages 5 to 18. Students will learn basic stances and self-defense techniques. The cost is $40 per month for residents and $50 for nonresidents. There is also a $30 fee for uniforms. For information or to register, call 561-243-7350.
Boynton Beach Parks and Recreation Department is offering the following programs:
- Lil’ Sluggers Baseball for children ages 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 at the Ezell Hester Jr. Community Center. The program introduces kids to the basics of baseball. The program will be held on Tuesdays. Participants ages 2 to 3 will meet from 11 to 11:45 a.m. and ages 4 to 5 from 12 to 12:45 p.m. Residents $48, nonresidents $60. The next session is May 7 to 28. For information, call 561-742-6550.
Reduced rates for playing at Boynton Beach Tennis Center. Residents $139.50 for an individual permit, nonresidents $249. Permits expire Sept. 30. For information, call 561-742-6575.
- The Play Outdoors … Unplugged series will feature several events at area parks to encourage families to play outdoors together. Family Field Day will be held at Jaycee Park on May 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event will feature games like three-legged race, red light/green light, spoon races, simon says and water balloon toss. Crazy Games Water Day will be held at Barrier Free Park June 1 from 9 to 11 a.m. For kids ages 2 to 13 and their parents.
- The annual Youth Tennis Carnival will be held Saturday from 9:30 to 11 a.m. This free event features tennis lessons, games and activities for children ages 6 to 17. The event takes place at the Hunter’s Run tennis courts. Space is limited to the first 30 children. Register at Intracoastal Park Clubhouse or online at www.boynton-beach.org. For information, 561-742-6224.
- Pickle Ball begins runs from 9 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Fridays at the Ezell Hester Jr. Community Center. The game can be played by adults of all ages. The game is a combination of tennis and badminton, and uses a waffle ball that you hit with wooden racquets across nets. $5 per player. For information, call 561-742-6550.
- Body with Style Aerobics classes on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Ezell Hester Jr. Community Center. $3 per class. For information, call 561-742-6550.
- Volleyball for ages 18 and older on Thursdays from 6 to 9 p.m. $5 per person. For information, call 561-742-6550.
- Couples Round Dancing on Thursdays from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Boynton Beach Civic Center. $12 per couple. For information, call 561-742-6240.
- Paddle Away Sports is offering kayak lessons and water safety instructions for ages 15 and older on the first and third Saturday of each month. Groups depart from the Intracoastal Park launch site and trips last from 8 to 11 a.m. Pre-registration is required. Register online at www.boynton-beach.org or visit Intracoastal Park Clubhouse to register in person. $50 for residents, $63 for nonresidents. For information, call 561-742-6221 or 561-742-6650 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m..
- Aqua fitness classes Tuesday to Friday 10 to 10:45 a.m. and Saturday from 9:45-10:30 a.m. $3 per class. For information, call 561-742-6645.
- Jazzercise classes at the Boynton Beach Civic Center Monday to Saturday from 9 to 10 a.m. Fees up to $38 per month. For information, call 561-742-6240.
- Volleyball for ages 12 to 18 on Thursdays from 6 to 9 p.m at the Ezell Hester Jr. Community Center. The cost per person is $5. For information, call 561-742-6550.
- Sunday morning mixed doubles from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the city’s tennis center. Players commit to only one week at a time and are placed by ability, changing partners each round. You do not need a partner to sign up but bring a friend if you wish. Advance registration is required each week. $10 for residents, $13 for nonresidents. For information, call 561-742-6575.
- Tennis Stroke of the Week Clinic at the Boynton Beach Tennis Center on Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. The clinic focuses on a different stroke each week. It is limited to eight players per week and costs $12 for residents, $15 for nonresidents. For information or to register, call 561-929-1076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Boynton Beach Fishing Club meets on the 4th fourth Tuesday of each month at Harvey Oyer Jr. Park. For information, call 561-703-5638.
- ‘America’s Boating Course’ provided by the Coast Guard Auxiliary 54 at Harvey Oyer Jr. Park on the last Saturday of each month. Course covers all boating and safety procedures. Cost is $36 and covers materials. For information, call 561-966-2158.
- Junior tennis clinics at the Boynton Beach Tennis Center for ages five to 15. Designed for beginners, players meet on Mondays or Wednesdays. Ages five to six (Pee Wee) $50 for residents, $63 for nonresidents. Ages seven to 15 (Junior) $60 for residents, $75 for nonresidents. For information, call 561-742-6575.
- Low-impact water exercise at Denson Pool on Wednesdays and Friday 10 to 10:45 a.m. $3 per session. For information, call 561-742-6645.
- Cardio tennis classes at the Boynton Beach Tennis Center offered Saturdays 8 to 9 a.m. Preregistration is required. Each class is $12 for residents, $15 for nonresidents. For more information, call 917-886-1238 or email email@example.com.
- Jazzercise for all ages and skill levels. Classes will be held Monday through Saturday 9 to 10 a.m. Fee is $38 per month.
- Friday Night Mixed Doubles will be held on the second and fourth Friday of each month at the Boynton Beach Tennis Center from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tennis players can commit to only one week at a time. Players are placed by ability and you will change partners each round. $10 for residents and permit holders, $13 for non-residents. Advanced registration is required each week. For information, call 561-742-6575.
Compiled by Eddie Ritz. Email sports news to him at firstname.lastname@example.org.