The group developing the old high school met its deadline to submit its plans, but its paperwork is “deficient,” city manager Lori LaVerriere said Monday.
Lake Worth architect Juan Contin is leading the $4.5 million project to convert the 1927 building to an events center and destination.
Contin submitted his plans March 4. Planning and Zoning Director Michael Rumpf told city officals last week the package was “reasonably complete” but had “some significant issues.”
The team reviewing the plans was scheduled to make its first comments Thursday and its second round April 16, then take the project May 28 to the city’s planning and development board. That would get it to the city commission for a first reading June 4 and a final vote June 18. The deadline to close is July 10.
Because of the current delay, Rumpf wrote to LaVerriere and Development Director Nancy Byrne that his staff may be looking at significantly “new” drawings during the second review stage, possibly delaying it or requiring a third stage of review. But Rumpf said he’s assuming changes can keep the project on schedule.
“The clock is ticking,” LaVerriere said Monday. “We already have the red flag up. We don’t want the time frame to get away from us.”
Contin said Monday all the discrepancies either can be or already have been cleared up.
Among other items, Rumpf said part of a “boundary survey” spills onto the site of the adjacent Schoolhouse Children’s Museum and Learning Center. Contin said his staff and the city have a disagreement over boundaries that he expects to resolve.
Rumpf also said Contin did not provide parking calculations. Contin said the school is exempt from parking standards. LaVerriere disagreed.