Books for six classroom libraries in Allamanda Elementary School will be bought with the $6,000 contribution from the BallenIsles Charities Foundation, part of about $161,000 awarded Wednesday to local charities by the organization.
“We’ll be able to buy a wide variety of books such as biographies and sports. Students love variety,” said Marilu Garcia, principal of the 650-student school in Palm Beach Gardens.
Medical equipment, food, musical instruments, sports, college scholarships and help for veterans will be paid for by the grants awarded to 19 local organizations. Like last year, the foundation this year held fashion shows, dinners and a night at the opera to raise the money. Last year the 501 (c) 3 foundation raised about $129,000, said Ben Kovalski, the vice president and treasurer of the foundation’s board of directors.
“We try to give to groups that are varied in how they serve the community,” Kovalski said.
The recipients include:
- Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue: A grant to buy an automated stretcher.
- The ARC of Palm Beach County: A music program to help children develop motor skills, improve attention span, and assist with communication skills.
- West Palm Beach Waterfront Warriors: The organization supports weekends of relaxation in Palm Beach County for wounded veterans. Local organizations provide in-kind donations of lodging, food, transportation.
- KAPTA-PAL: A 36-week tennis program at BallenIsles and other tennis centers for at-risk children. Mentors monitor the children’s academic progress.
- Feeding South Florida: Elementary school children are provided meals.
- Clinics Can Help: Medical equipment is planned to be distributed to serve more than 1,200 patients.
Other recipients were: Alzheimer’s Community Care, Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School, First Tee of the Palm Beaches, Gratitude House, Loggerhead Marine Life Center, Palm Beach Gardens City Hall, Palm Beach Gardens High School, Palm Beach State College, Renaissance Learning Academy, Renaissance Learning Center, Scripps Florida and Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches.