Gardens man sentenced to 10 years in 2014 accidental fatal shooting



Judge Glenn Kelley sentenced DeSantis in the death of Feliciano S. Sabates Tuesday afternoon in front of a packed courtroom in downtown West Palm Beach. In August, a jury found DeSantis guilty of manslaughter, improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a minor.

“A manslaughter case is the most difficult case to pronounce sentencing. … What you have is a tragic situation where a person does not intend something, but their consequences of their action is that someone dies.” Kelley said. “I have the power to sentence, but I don’t have the power to heal.”

Sabates’ stepfather, attorney Leo Plasencia, told the court his family was wrecked by the death. His wife has trouble functioning on a day-to-day basis, Sabates’ younger brother “feels alone in the world,” and Sabates’ grandparents look at a photo of the 18-year-old before they go to bed each night thinking “he would have been more than just a picture” if the shooting didn’t happen. Plasencia said he considers himself strong, but Sabates’ death has caused him “a tremendous amount of pain.”

“Essentially two lives are destroyed as a result as this. And two families are being destroyed,” Plasencia said about the sentencing. “But having said that, I think Julian DeSantis needs to understand and needs to be sent a message of the gravity of what he did.”

On Aug. 2, 2014, Palm Beach Gardens police were called to apartments on the 4000 block of Pinella Circle, near Interstate 95 and PGA Boulevard, where 18-year-old Sabates was shot.

Initially, DeSantis told Palm Beach Gardens police a black man in red shirt and black shorts shot his friend, according to a police report. Another friend in DeSantis’ apartment told police DeSantis had a 9mm handgun and had pointed it at him first. After he told him to stop, DeSantis pointed it at Sabates, and that’s when the gun went off.

DeSantis, who was 17 years old at the time, eventually confessed and told police he had been smoking marijuana and drinking before he shot Sabates.

DeSantis’ father, Doug, told the judge that neither family will be the same, and that he takes partial ownership in the 18-year-old’s death. He said he agreed his son needed to face the consequences of his actions, but that he was also a teen at the time and should have a sentence where he can come out a productive citizen in the end.

“Neither family will be the same. Ever,” he said. “Someone has to pay for the accident. This is not a baseball through a window or backing into a mailbox. This accident took a human life. The life of a special young child with a loving heart and warm soul.”

Throughout the testimony, DeSantis bowed his head and cried several times. When he spoke to the court, he said he took full responsibility for his actions and said he grapples with the pain of being the one who took away the life of one of his closest friends.

“Although I can blame others for where I am today, I have only really to look at myself,” he said. “But really, your honor, it’s really all on me.”


Reader Comments


Next Up in News

Trial opens in case of murdered FAU student
Trial opens in case of murdered FAU student
While Donovan Henry might not have fired the shot that killed 19-year-old Nicholas Acosta, he set the wheels in motion for the murder of the Florida...
PBSO searching for West Palm teen missing since November
PBSO searching for West Palm teen missing since November
A suburban West Palm Beach teen has not been seen since late November and is considered to be missing and endangered, the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s...
UPDATE: Missing Boca Raton woman, 77, found unharmed
UPDATE: Missing Boca Raton woman, 77, found unharmed
Update, 8:55 p.m.: Authorities say that Rosetta Bramante has been found unharmed.Original story: A 77-year-old suburban Boca Raton woman was reported...
New bill would let you buy hearing aids over the counter
New bill would let you buy hearing aids over the counter
Millions of Americans who need hearing aids do not have them, and fewer than 20 percent of people with hearing loss are getting help.
Navy Secretary recommends two Medals of Honor
 Navy Secretary Ray Mabus is recommending that two members of the Navy Department be awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest...
More Stories

You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myPalmBeachPost.com.

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of free premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to myPalmBeachPost.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myPalmBeachPost.com.