'A sad day’: Testa’s closes location in Palm Beach after 96 years


Testa’s restaurant, a favorite local eatery and a town icon for decades, closed its doors Saturday night to make way for the new development on Royal Poinciana Way.

Tom Testa said the announcement of the closing earlier this month touched off a wave of emotion and sentiment from people across South Florida.

“The outpouring from the community has been truly overwhelming, flattering and humbling,” Testa said in an email. “Thank you to all for 96 memorable years.”

>> PHOTOS: Last day at Testa’s Palm Beach, July 15, 2017

RELATED: Testa’s restaurant closing: Saying goodbye to ‘Palm Beach’s best friend’

Town Councilwoman Bobbie Lindsay was among the customers on Saturday. “It’s a sad day for me,” she said. “I grew up here.”

Lindsay recalled celebrating many birthdays at Testa’s and went for lunch on the restaurant’s last day with her husband, Douglas Buck, and son, John Buck.

The restaurant first opened its doors on the island in 1921 and is the oldest family-owned restaurant in Palm Beach County. Famous for its strawberry pie and “steak for two,” it began as a soda shop down the street from the building at 221 Royal Poinciana Way, its home since 1947.

RELATED: 96 years: Timeline of Testa’s history in Palm Beach

RELATED: Testa’s: Celebrity sightings range from JFK to actors to musicians

“So many people have been part of our lives and we of theirs,” Tom Testa said. “Each member of our family has so many memories and, as we have heard from our longtime customers and friends, those memories are what we all will take with us and cherish most.”

The Frisbie Group plans to begin demolition next month of the restaurant building, defunct service station and Via Testa buildings to make way for a new and smaller restaurant, shops and six luxury condominiums with underground parking. The project is supposed to be completed in about three years, according to an agreement between the Frisbies and the town.

It’s not clear if Testa’s will return in the new restaurant at the redeveloped site or elsewhere. Tom Testa has said the family is keeping its options open.

“I’ve been coming here since 1977,” said L Michael Lee of Jupiter, who was at the restaurant Saturday. “They have the best martinis in town and it was a great place to bring a date … you could never re-create this place. It’s a Palm Beach landmark.”

David Malouff of Boynton Beach was also at Testa’s on Saturday.

“It’s sad they’re closing, but times have changed,” he said. “We’ll see what the new project brings.”

RELATED: Memories of Testa’s: ‘It wasn’t always just about the food’


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

After Irma: Ways to get some much-needed relaxation in Wellington
After Irma: Ways to get some much-needed relaxation in Wellington

Hurricane Irma has passed. You’ve hauled branches and pieces of your fence to a pile in front of your house. You’ve taken down your shutters, and moved your planters from the garage back to your patio.  Or is this just my to-do list? Now that Irma is gone and we’re cleaning up her mess, I think we can all take a moment to relax...
South Florida Asian buffet caught with 110 violations in 2016 closes again
South Florida Asian buffet caught with 110 violations in 2016 closes again

An Asian buffet in Miami that was titled the“restaurant with the most violations” in 2016 was shut down again for unsanitary conditions, according to WPLG’s dining investigators. Royal Buffet, located off Bird Road, had 47 violations this time--- which included a live rodent crawling under a sushi table, and droppings...
UPDATE: Man with dementia missing from Royal Palm Beach located
UPDATE: Man with dementia missing from Royal Palm Beach located

UPDATE: Anthony Scarpati has been found, the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office reported late Monday. An 81-year-old man with dementia was last seen leaving his home in Royal Palm Beach Monday evening, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. At 6:15 p.m., Anthony Scarpati was seen driving away from his home on the 200 block...
NEW: Man dies after hit by car Sunday night west of Boca Raton
NEW: Man dies after hit by car Sunday night west of Boca Raton

A man who would have turned 55-years-old this week died after he was hit by a car this Sunday night west of Boca Raton, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators say Anthony Bayles walked in front of a vehicle near State Road 7 and Southwest Third Street, just south of west Palmetto Park Road, around 8:20 p.m. Robert...
NEW: Florida man cut with machete in fight at Bank of America
NEW: Florida man cut with machete in fight at Bank of America

A man in Central Florida was arrested Monday after police said he cut another man with a machete during a fight in a Bank of America parking lot.  The victim told police that at around 11 a.m., Arlen Hubbard, 70, “got too close” and almost hit him with his car while he was walking through the bank parking lot in DeLand, News 13 reports...
More Stories