NEW: Why Wellington’s water may taste, smell different this week

4:03 p.m Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017 Local
Wellington is changing the way it treats its drinking water this week, which could cause the water to taste or smell more like chlorine. (pixabay.com)

Wellington residents may notice a different smell and taste to their water this week.

Through Nov. 13, the village is changing the disinfection process used to treat drinking water as crews replace the aerator on the lime softening plant, which helps remove iron from the water, said Shannon LaRocque, Wellington utilities director.

READ: Why some Wellington meetings go past 11 p.m. — and then on and on…

Instead of a combined chlorine treatment, Wellington’s drinking water will have a free chlorine treatment, which could increase the chlorine taste and smell in the water.

Typically, the village’s water system switches to a free chlorine treatment for a few days once a year as part of a regular disinfection process, LaRocque said, adding that the free chlorine treatment helps flush out anything growing in Wellington’s water distribution system.

That annual flushing took place this past summer, but was necessary once again as part of the ongoing construction.

The changes should not cause any adverse health effects, the village said in a news release.

READ: Jimmy Mandala, staple of Wellington dressage community, dies at age 48

Those who are sensitive to the smell and taste of chlorine can put an open container of drinking water in their refrigerators. The chlorine should dissipate within a few hours.

Residents also will notice an increase in hydrant flushing this week, which is part of the maintenance process.

View full experience