LATEST: State says weather key factor in loss of Tequesta teens at sea


“A weather-related incident” capsized the 19-foot boat that was carrying Tequesta 14-year-olds Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen out to sea on the July 2015 day they vanished, according to a state report released late Thursday.

A key finding in the report: The engine was operating when the craft took on water. One theory after the disappearance was that the boys had engine trouble.

But “the evidence is not conclusive enough to confirm any particular scenario on what happened that day, other than the fact that the vessel took on water and capsized,” the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission report concluded.

Witnesses said the boat was headed into rough weather when it left Jib Yacht Club and Marina in Tequesta and headed through the Jupiter Inlet into the Atlantic Ocean at noon on July 24, 2015. One commercial fisherman recalled the skies over the ocean as being black, the temperature dropping and “you could tell it was going to be a really mean one.”

The Cohen family told The Palm Beach Post by email Thursday that it would have no comment until the Florida Department of Law Enforcement submits its final report on the boys’ disappearance and the entire investigation is complete. In a written statment, the Stephanos family wanted to acknowledge the dedication of all of those involved in the search and corresponding investigations.

“Though we think about our beloved son every minute of every day, this time of year is particularly difficult for our family, as I’m sure you can imagine,” the family said. “But we’d like to take this opportunity to say that we will never forget the outpouring of love and concern we received from friends and strangers alike. “

The Coast Guard searched for the boys until July 31, 2015. Their families called off their private search Aug. 9. The area it covered spanned about 50,000 nautical miles from the inlet north to the Georgia coast.

The teens’ disappearance led to unprecedented community support for the effort to find them, with fund raisers and vigils unfolding across northern Palm Beach County. A GoFundMe online account raised nearly $500,000 to help search for them.

A container ship recovered the Seacraft on March 18, 2016, about 170 miles off the coast of Bermuda. It was the first time the boat had been seen since the Coast Guard spotted it bobbing off Daytona Beach on July 26, 2015, two days after the boys were last seen. The Cohen family disclosed the discovery in April.

The teens’ disappearance led to reforms that might make it easier to find distressed boats. On May 23, Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill (HB 711) that will expand a discount on registration fees for recreational boat owners who have locator beacons. Supporters, including sponsor Rep. MaryLynn Magar, R-Tequesta, have said such a device might have helped searchers find the boys.

The conclusion that weather led the boat to capsize is in line with how authorities described the conditions after the boys headed through the Jupiter Inlet. A storm first smacked Stuart with a 38-mph gust recorded at 1:07 p.m. before rolling through Hobe Sound and then into Jupiter. The National Weather Service issued a special marine statement about the line of expanding thunderstorms at 1:41 p.m.

Austin Stephanos’ cellphone disconnected from the Internet about 1:15 p.m.

The FWC’s 47-page report includes information that has been previously reported but on page 6, as part of its “Conclusion” it states: “The FWC team of investigators agreed that all evidence gathered to date supports the conclusion that Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen had a weather-related incident out at sea that caused their vessel to capsize.”

The FWC report said testing by Yamaha, the motor’s manufacturer, determined it was running and “became submerged at the time of the accident.” Photos of the boat from when it was found in 2016 show the engine and battery were turned off.

The report also said: “Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen still remain missing and are listed in the National Data Base for Missing and Exploited Children. Any new information or additional leads will be investigated if received.”

The FWC’s findings matched what a woman who was at the Jupiter Reef Club on July 24, 2015 previously told investigators that she recalled seeing the boat and watching the boys as they headed out to sea.

The woman, who spoke again with The Post on Thursday and asked that her name not be used, said it was raining heavily and she was concerned that rough surf might tip the vessel over. The woman said she called to notify the Coast Guard, but the teens eventually got the boat started and left.

“The boat was rocking really bad,” she said. “I said to my kids that it was going to tip.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

After defeats, PBC school board readies new legal battle over charters
After defeats, PBC school board readies new legal battle over charters

Palm Beach County’s public school leaders have not shied away from battling charter schools in court. They also have not had much success. Yet despite a string of defeats in their taxpayer-financed tussles, the county school board is poised to dive into another one. This time, their sights are set squarely on state lawmakers. Board members last...
NEW: Police: Alabama man threatened to ‘splatter’ head of Boca woman
NEW: Police: Alabama man threatened to ‘splatter’ head of Boca woman

A 33-year-old Alabama resident was arrested Thursday in Boca Raton after police say he sent a local woman hundreds of threatening Facebook messages from July 2016 to March 2017. According to Boca Raton Police, Phillip Goodin sent messages including death threats to the woman and her father if he wasn’t given $5,000. Goodin also sent the woman...
JUST IN: Red Cross responds to Friday house fire in Riviera Beach
JUST IN: Red Cross responds to Friday house fire in Riviera Beach

Red Cross crews responded to a house fire Friday on Third Street near North Quadrille Boulevard that displaced two people, the organization said. Get the latest breaking news from The Palm Beach Post It was not clear what the extent of the damage was, but the organization provided food, lodging and clothing to the people displaced.
Police: Housekeeper stole $40,000 in valuables from Wellington home
Police: Housekeeper stole $40,000 in valuables from Wellington home

A West Palm Beach woman remains in the Palm Beach County Jail facing charges that she stole more than $40,000 worth of property while cleaning a home in Wellington, according to an arrest report. Jessica Kekacs, 26, is facing four counts each of dealing in stolen property and fraud and one count of larceny between $20,000 and $100,000 and is being...
Police: ‘Party God’ Snapchats underage sex acts at Lake Worth party
Police: ‘Party God’ Snapchats underage sex acts at Lake Worth party

A 19-year-old known for throwing mansion parties around Palm Beach County is accused of recording three teens having sex at one of those parties, according to a sheriff’s office report. Stephen Jean-Louis, of suburban West Palm Beach, was arrested on July 15 and faces charges of transmitting child pornography, sexual cyberharrassment of another...
More Stories