Lake Worth’s Art Studio Cafe searching for a new home


The Art Studio Cafe , the downtown Lake Worth gallery on Second Avenue North, is looking for a new home.

Gallery owner Maria Paz said the 800-square-foot site is closing Dec. 14 after Patti Sheldon, Paz’s landlord, texted her on the Sunday after Thanksgiving to tell Paz she would not renew the lease.

“We’re looking for a new space, hopefully closer and more central,” Paz said. “I’m happy about the opportunity and excited for a new beginning.”

LAKE WORTH READERS: Subscribe to The Post’s weekly Lake Worth newsletter here

Sheldon said the lease ends Jan. 14. She said Paz defaulted on her rent, but declined to elaborate.

“I like Maria as a person and I like her artwork and I hope she’ll still do some art for me,” Sheldon said. “This is more personal and I can’t tell you why I didn’t renew her lease. Maria knows why.”

Paz, however, said she owes nothing. “They’re not renewing and I’m leaving current,” Paz said.

Timing of the move is bad since Paz is hosting a show “Divas,” which started Friday at Hatch on Lucerne Avenue. The show feature divas and drag queens painted by Paz.

“I’m thrilled about the city with the art and what’s happening,” Paz said. “I think it’s phenomenal. It’s come a long way, Lake Worth. To be part of the arts community is spectacular.”

As for trying to find a new space, Paz said she’s not thinking about that.

“I got the text on Sunday, I was in Sarasota with family and now I have my first solo exhibit, so that’s all I can think of right now, ” Paz said. “Tomorrow is another day.”

The Art Studio Cafe opened March 1, replacing the popular Mother Earth Sanctuary Cafe, which had been at the location for close to 10 years. The studio was a gallery for Paz, who paints portraits and murals, to display her work along up to 10 other artists. The work will range from paintings to pottery. Handmade jewelry was on display and for sale.

Mother Earth Cafe, known for its veggie burgers and soups made from scratch, also closed after owner Patti Lucia wanted to turn the popular site into a full-service restaurant, a prospect Sheldon didn’t like.

“At this time it’s not possible (for a full-service restaurant), but it could be possible in the future. She chose not to stay,” Sheldon said told The Palm Beach Post in November 2016.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

UPDATE: Man, 51, riding bike killed by Brightline train in Boynton
UPDATE: Man, 51, riding bike killed by Brightline train in Boynton

UPDATE, 9:53 p.m.: Boynton Beach police say Jeffrey King was headed westbound on Ocean Avenue when he pedaled the bicycle around the gates near the Florida East Coast Railway crossing at Ocean Avenue about 4:30 p.m. He was struck and killed by a northbound Brightline train. City officials told Casello the man “wasn’t even looking just...
Boynton Police investigating string of shootings that may be connected
Boynton Police investigating string of shootings that may be connected

Simon Pierre’s three daughters thought the noises were fireworks. But then a bullet hit one of the front windows. “Get down!” Pierre’s wife, Marlene Guerrier, screamed Tuesday night. The couple’s 10-year-old daughter was doing back flips on the black L-shaped couch beside the window and if she hadn’t moved, she would...
UPDATE: Police say man pedaled around closed train gates before death
UPDATE: Police say man pedaled around closed train gates before death

A Brightline train struck and killed a bicyclist on Wednesday afternoon, marking the second fatal accident involving the highly-anticipated passenger service in less than a week — both in Boynton Beach. In the hours after Wednesday’s accident, Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, called on federal transportation officials to investigate the deaths...
PBC school board reassigns students of soon-to-close Odyssey Middle

The Palm Beach County School Board gave final approval Wednesday to a plan to reassign 1,900 Odyssey Middle students to new schools when the school closes this summer. The reassignment plan for the closing Boynton Beach school was approved unanimously without debate, the final procedural step in what will be the first closure of a traditional county...
Lake Worth man convicted of manslaughter in 2015 stabbing death
Lake Worth man convicted of manslaughter in 2015 stabbing death

A 26-year-old Lake Worth man faces up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced next month in the stabbing death of a man he said he killed in self-defense. Jurors on Friday ended Deivis Costa’s second degree murder trial by convicting him of a lesser manslaughter charge in connection with his Sept. 5, 2015 deadly altercation with 25-year-old...
More Stories