Harbourside Place is too loud, some nearby residents contend

Kevin Gallant and other residents of Waters Edge Estates, a community about 500 feet across the Intracoastal Waterway from Harbourside Place, want the volume turned down at the $150 million entertainment complex.

“It’s totally intolerable. I can hear the music in every room in my house. With the windows closed. There’s no escaping it. It’s been a rough two weeks,” said Gallant, referring to the fireworks, concerts and other events that have happened since the $150 million entertainment complex held its grand opening Dec. 4-5, which included fireworks both nights. The second night attracted about 5,000 people.

Developer Nick Mastroianni said outdoor concerts and other events are part of Harbourside’s role as “the new downtown of Jupiter.”

“We will continue to be in close communication with our surrounding neighbors to keep everyone happy while maintaining our duty to our tenants. Harbourside has been very well received by 99.9 percent of Jupiter and county residents,” Mastroianni said.

Waters Edge is a gated community of 20 single-family homes, mostly in about the $1-$2 million range. Several residents came to the Dec. 15 town council meeting to complain about the noise. Harbourside and town officials have been meeting with Waters Edge Estates residents to work out a solution.

Paul Chaney said he and other Waters Edge residents expected loud music when Harbourside Place opened. They were prepared for celebrations on weekends and holidays.

What they weren’t prepared for was music and noise five or more nights a week, Chaney and other Waters Edge residents said, noting the events on the Harbourside Place website.

There’s Wine Down Wednesdays, featuring live music. Throwback Thursdays, featuring tribute bands. Live music on Saturday and Sunday nights.

“It’s worse than living next to an airport. At least the planes are only loud for a few minutes. This is constant pounding,” said Waters Edge resident Cheryl Kalokerinos.

Waters Edge residents hired a sound engineer who has made several recommendations, such as adding a glass wall between the back of the stage and the water line; modifying the stage canopy to deflect the music and changing the speaker system.

“We could handle Friday and Saturday nights. But this loud music five and six nights a week is ruining our lives,” said Water Estates resident Joann McDonald.

Town regulations require the music level to be no louder than 60 decibels from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. That decibel level drops to 50 decibels after 10 p.m., according to the town code. A special-event permit for Harbourside in December allows 95 decibels, said John Sickler, the town’s director of planning and zoning.

Lower music volume will be required at Harbourside for events after December on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Modifications to the stage to lower the volume will be required for Friday and Saturday events, Sickler said.

“We are not going to continue to allow Harbourside outdoor music events at the current noise level,” Sickler said.

Complaints from residents about outdoor noise is not new in Jupiter.

Responding to complaints about rowdy late-night revelers and too much noise, the town council in 2011 approved requiring bars and restaurants in Abacoa and other parts of the town to stop serving drinks one hour earlier, at 2 a.m. About a year before, town officials revised its noise ordinance following complaints from local residents complaining about noise from The Square Grouper and Guanabanas.

The noise complaints have not just from Jupiter residents.

“When the wind is right, I can hear all those bad lyrics from those 1970s songs. When Jupiter discusses noise regulations, we will be at the meeting,” said Dan Comerford, mayor of Jupiter Inlet Colony, on the other side of Jupiter Inlet from Jupiter.

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

After the video: Dairy association tries to counter abuse allegations
After the video: Dairy association tries to counter abuse allegations

Florida’s dairy industry has been in an unwanted spotlight since the Nov. 9 release of surveillance videos showing workers kicking cows at Larson Dairy in Okeechobee County. The image portrayed is far from that of cows grazing in idyllic pastures and has the potential to harm both milk sales and economic stability of the industry. RELATED: Three...
Suicide bomber kills 7 in Pakistani church
Suicide bomber kills 7 in Pakistani church

Seven people were killed and more than two dozen were injured Sunday when a suicide bomber attacked a church packed with more than 400 worshippers during a service in Pakistan, CNN reported. A Methodist church in Quetta was targeted by two attackers, but only one was able to denonate his vest, according to Sarfaraz Bugti, the interior minister...
Who was the man taking pictures at this Lake Worth house?
Who was the man taking pictures at this Lake Worth house?

Christina Blanco and her husband, Roger Gonzalez, were having lunch at their Lake Worth home recently. While eating, Blanco, 32, saw a man, late 20s, early 30s, approaching their 1112 North D Street home they’ve shared for two years and taking pictures of their place on his cell phone. Gonzalez, 31, went to the door and asked theman, who was...
Wife gets wedding ring back after husband accidentally drops it in Salvation Army kettle
Wife gets wedding ring back after husband accidentally drops it in Salvation Army kettle

An Oklahoma couple is grateful to the Salvation Army after a wedding ring was accidentally dropped into a donation kettle. It happened while one Tulsa man, who asked not to be identified, was dropping some change into the red kettle. “I had outpatient surgery at St. John's and I forgot to take [the rings] off. So at the last minute, I gave them...
Police: Washington State mother under investigation for infant's death
Police: Washington State mother under investigation for infant's death

A 24-year-old Washington State woman is under investigation for homicide and reckless care that caused the death of her infant son, Kent Police said late Saturday. Medics were called on Dec. 12 after the 2-month old baby was found unresponsive, police said.  Police said the mother placed the child on his stomach on top of a sleeping bag and...
More Stories