Dick’s wants to sell guns at Gardens Mall; city fears horror scenarios


Highlights

Palm Beach Gardens Police Chief Stephen Stepp wrote a 14-question letter to Dick’s that has gone unanswered.

The city manager and police chief worry gun and ammunition sales will make it easier for an active shooter.

If gun sales happen in The Gardens Mall, in a store around the corner from Mrs. Fields and Zales Jewelers, who’s going to be able to distinguish a shopper with a new gun from an armed person out to inflict harm?

READ: Two arrested in gun incident at Gardens Mall

That’s the unanswered question that worries the Palm Beach Gardens police chief and other city leaders, but Dick’s Sporting Goods has the law on its side.

READ: Shooting at Gardens Mall the result of ‘drug rip-offs’

Only state lawmakers, not local ones, can set the rules for gun sales, City Attorney Max Lohman told a representative of Dick’s Sporting Goods in a recent letter.

Neither the city nor the mall was ever eager to have Dick’s move into space held by Sears — an original tenant — but a panel of judges shut down objections to the leasing arrangement in July.

After the courts cleared the path for the sporting goods giant to move in, Dick’s broached the topic of gun sales. Specifically, in a letter received Oct. 5, Dick’s Loss Prevention Compliance Coordinator Lori Clark asked if there was “anything prohibiting the sale of firearms (long rifle only) and ammunition” in the second-floor space Dick’s plans to sublease from Sears.

The situation didn’t sit well with city leaders then, but concerns about Dick’s plan for gun sales escalated after a shooting in the mall’s parking lot two weeks ago. No one was injured, but stores temporarily locked their doors in the chaos. 

Also, a gun sale in the lot outside Saks Fifth Avenue “went bad” Monday, underscoring the misgivings. No one fired a weapon, but the fight that ensued among the men who picked the mall as a halfway meeting point caused shoppers to cram into storage areas and bathrooms for cover.

Neither representatives from Dick’s Sporting Goods nor from The Gardens Mall returned requests for comment Thursday.

City Manager Ron Ferris said he’d like Dick’s to rethink its decision.

“The staff just feels that the sale of any kind of weapon at the mall is just an inappropriate use. It has disregard for public safety,” Ferris said.

Dick’s takes some precautions. When someone buys a rifle and ammunition, the standard procedure is to have an employee walk him or her to the customer’s car, an architect working on the project told Ferris in a meeting this week.

“That does not alleviate our fears that someone who wishes to become an active shooter could load the weapon and walk right back into the mall,” Ferris said.

Although the city can’t restrict the sale of guns at the retail property, Sears and Dick’s will have to address police and fire safety issues, Ferris said.

Two weeks ago, Jupiter resident Barbara Sergent was shopping at the mall just before shots rang out in the parking lot. Police arrested two young men and said the shooting was not random. The encounter began with a punch and ended when one man grabbed a gun from his car and started shooting as the other drove away.

“The fact that it was a disagreement between the two individuals doesn’t make me feel any better because they were still outside shooting,” Sergent said.

Sergent said she occasionally allows her 14-year-old twin daughters to shop at the mall alone. But after this, she won’t be dropping them off any longer. “They are going to have to find another place to hang out. I won’t feel comfortable with them there given what has happened.”

Police Chief Stephen Stepp wants answers to 14 questions — which he posed in an Oct. 13 letter to Dick’s. So far, the letter and his questions have gone unanswered. Among them:

  • How will Dick’s prevent the visible presence of a long-gun from causing fear, panic and possible mistaken identification of an active shooter?
  • What safeguards are in place to avoid misidentification by a citizen pulling out a concealed weapon to shoot the perceived threat?
  • What protocols will be in place to prevent guns that are left in vehicles while patrons shop before or after transactions at Dick’s from being accessible to burglars?

Stepp said he has nothing against Dick’s and doesn’t want to thwart anyone’s Second Amendment rights. He just wants to know how Dick’s is going to maintain a safe, wholesome atmosphere at the mall, which sees 8 million to 10 million visitors per year.

With so many visitors and so little violent crime, the mall is one of the safest places in the city, he said.

Gander Mountain, the outdoor store off Northlake Boulevard that closed this summer, also sold guns. But that’s a different atmosphere than the mall, where families come to see Santa and the Easter bunny, to go out to dinner or to enjoy special events, Stepp said.

“You go with an expectation at the mall that you’re not going to see somebody walking through the mall or walking through the parking lot with firearms,” he said.

Gander Mountain management agreed to lock up guns in emergencies, such as hurricanes, to prevent looting, Stepp said. The ammunition was out in the open, which police were never really comfortable with, he said.

The regular sight of people walking around the mall with long-guns will make it difficult for security officers to keep up their guards, he said. Plus, a well-meaning Good Samaritan with a concealed carry permit could decide to take matters into his or her own hands, Stepp said.

“They may say, ‘Hey, I’m going to be the hero’ and take out this guy they perceived as a threat,” even if it’s someone who just bought a gun or is returning one, he said.

If people buy a gun at Dick’s and then leave it in the car while they walk the mall, a criminal could smash the window and get access, Stepp said. Citywide, 14 guns have been stolen from vehicles since Jan. 1, he said.

For the past five years, the city, Sears and mall owners Forbes/Cohen Florida Properties tangled in court over Sears’ plans to sublease space to Dick’s Sporting Goods. It ended when the Fourth District Court of Appeal ruled in Sears’ favor this summer.

The court decision left unresolved whether Dick’s potential sale of guns creates a “dangerous hazard,” violating the terms of an agreement between the mall and Sears.

Staff Writer Jennifer Sorentrue contributed to this report.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

UPDATE: Man, 51, riding bike killed by Brightline train in Boynton
UPDATE: Man, 51, riding bike killed by Brightline train in Boynton

UPDATE, 9:53 p.m.: Boynton Beach police say Jeffrey King was headed westbound on Ocean Avenue when he pedaled the bicycle around the gates near the Florida East Coast Railway crossing at Ocean Avenue about 4:30 p.m. He was struck and killed by a northbound Brightline train. City officials told Casello the man “wasn’t even looking just...
Boynton Police investigating string of shootings that may be connected
Boynton Police investigating string of shootings that may be connected

Simon Pierre’s three daughters thought the noises were fireworks. But then a bullet hit one of the front windows. “Get down!” Pierre’s wife, Marlene Guerrier, screamed Tuesday night. The couple’s 10-year-old daughter was doing back flips on the black L-shaped couch beside the window and if she hadn’t moved, she would...
UPDATE: Police say man pedaled around closed train gates before death
UPDATE: Police say man pedaled around closed train gates before death

A Brightline train struck and killed a bicyclist on Wednesday afternoon, marking the second fatal accident involving the highly-anticipated passenger service in less than a week — both in Boynton Beach. In the hours after Wednesday’s accident, Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, called on federal transportation officials to investigate the deaths...
PBC school board reassigns students of soon-to-close Odyssey Middle

The Palm Beach County School Board gave final approval Wednesday to a plan to reassign 1,900 Odyssey Middle students to new schools when the school closes this summer. The reassignment plan for the closing Boynton Beach school was approved unanimously without debate, the final procedural step in what will be the first closure of a traditional county...
Lake Worth man convicted of manslaughter in 2015 stabbing death
Lake Worth man convicted of manslaughter in 2015 stabbing death

A 26-year-old Lake Worth man faces up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced next month in the stabbing death of a man he said he killed in self-defense. Jurors on Friday ended Deivis Costa’s second degree murder trial by convicting him of a lesser manslaughter charge in connection with his Sept. 5, 2015 deadly altercation with 25-year-old...
More Stories