I don’t enter contests often, but those I win, I never forget.
There was the time I won a 10-speed in a high school raffle. Once, on a drive home from college, I bought a scratch-off ticket and won a hundred bucks.
But last week, I won a contest my belly will never forget.
Pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith, the dessert maven at the James Beard Award-winning restaurant Michael’s Genuine in Miami and a two-time James Beard finalist herself, thought she’d have a little fun with ice cream.
Goldsmith, who has a new cookbook out, “Baking Out Loud” (Clarkson Potter, $27.50), started a contest on Twitter, asking for the best ice cream suggestions and promising to make the winner a quart. Tweeps simply had to tag her and use the hashtag #iscreamuscream2013.
Her 3,200 followers came strong. There was lemon verbena with blackberries. Chocolate stout with Panther coffee swirls and dark chocolate chunks. Macallan butterscotch with pralines.
I remembered a vanilla ice cream she once made at Michael’s Genuine because she smoked the cream with Australian pine wood and the flavor is something the pleasure centers in my brain won’t soon forget. So feeling fully Southern, I suggested grill-smoked peach cobbler, half-remembering a peach ice cream that Sundy House executive chef Lindsay Autry once told me she made as a teenager with fresh peaches from her family’s orchard.
I tweeted it off and forgot about it. On July 18th—the night of my 38th birthday—my phone flashed to signify I’d gotten a direct message from Goldsmith: “FYI, you won!”
I’m eagerly awaiting my quart of creamy cold Southern goodness, with tempting pictures surely to follow on our Feast Palm Beach blog (at blogs.palmbeachpost.com/feastpb/).
Goldsmith posted the top-10 suggestions on her Facebook page:
1. Grill-smoked peach cobbler
2. Waffles and syrup
3. Creme fraiche, bourbon-soaked cherries and rosemary-dusted hazelnuts
4. Local honey goat cheese with caramelized pear, salty pistachios and black pepper
5. Chocolate stout with Panther coffee swirls and dark chocolate chunks
6. Amarena cherry mascarpone swirl with Amaretti cookie crumble
7. Macallan butterscotch with praline pecans
8. Lemon verbena with blackberries
9. Peanut butter, banana and bacon
10. Orange-Sichuan pepper Creamsicle