breaking news

12-year-old boy who’d been sick dies near West Palm

EXCLUSIVE: Workers say contractor fired them after immigration protest


On Thursday, 40 employees of a Boca Raton construction company skipped work to participate in a national “Day Without Immigrants” protest.

When they returned to their Miami job site Friday, workers say, four were fired — although the employer said the terminations were unrelated to the protest. The other 36 decided to sit out another day to support the fired workers.

READ ALSO: Trump again hires foreign workers at Mar-a-Lago; little change in pay

On Sunday, a dozen of the workers met at the West Palm Beach office of the Laborers International Union of North America to discuss how to protect their jobs and what action they might take against their employer, Orange & Blue Construction Inc.

The episode underscores the simmering tensions in South Florida’s construction industry, which long has relied on foreign labor.

Immigrant workers typically favor lenient policies about who’s allowed to remain in the United States. In something of an ideological mismatch, their bosses often are loyal to the Republican Party, which has engaged in tough talk about immigration policy since the election of President Donald Trump.

Of the 40 workers who stayed off Orange & Blue Construction’s site last week, most are carpenters and laborers from Central America. They said the protest was meant to convey their concerns about the apparently harsher direction of immigration policy.

“Our coworkers are afraid of the police, of being deported,” said one worker, a Honduran immigrant who asked not to be named.

Their bosses at Orange & Blue Construction see the protests as an overreaction.

“People need to understand the government is only targeting people who are criminals,” the company said in an unsigned message sent to workers last week.

Orange & Blue Construction is owned by William Randle Jr. He declined to comment, but his attorney said in a statement that about 30 workers didn’t show up on Thursday.

“None of the workers gave us notification or a reason for their absence,” Randle’s attorney said. “The four O&B employees who were terminated were terminated for reasons that had nothing whatsoever to do with their absence from work. O&B is very appreciative of the efforts of all our employees and we take pride in providing a great work environment including healthcare and a 401(k) program.”

As his company’s name suggests, Randle is a proud graduate of the University of Florida. Orange & Blue Construction ranks No. 11 on the latest Gator 100 list, which honors fast-growing companies run by UF alumni.

Workers at Sunday’s meeting said they’re building an apartment complex in Miami. They said Orange & Blue Construction pays $18 to $27 an hour — a hefty wage by Central American standards, but below the national average of $28.52 an hour earned by construction workers in January, according to the U.S. Labor Department.

The workers at Orange & Blue Construction are not union members, but they met Sunday with labor organizers. Andrei Rolle, president of Laborers International Union Local 1652, told workers to file a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board — and to understand that the labor market’s supply-and-demand equation is in their favor.

“The reality is there’s a shortage of workers right now,” Rolle said. “They need you.”

Workers complained that Orange & Blue Construction’s has a lax attitude toward safety and paying for on-the-job injuries. Alvaro Hercules, a carpenter from El Salvador, said he was stuck with a $1,500 hospital bill after he broke his finger on the job.

The 17-year-old company has been disciplined just once by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Orange & Blue was ordered to pay $564 in fines for two violations after an inspection in 2009.

Laborers International Union organizer Angel Vallejos acted as translator during Sunday’s meeting, and he indicated that the relationship between the company and its workers was strained but not beyond repair.

“A win would be if everybody got their jobs back,” Vallejos said.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

NEW: More than 500 new U.S. citizens sworn in at South Florida Fair
NEW: More than 500 new U.S. citizens sworn in at South Florida Fair

The immigration debate brought Washington, D.C., to a standstill this week, drove much of the discussion at presidential debates in 2016 and has been one of President Donald Trump’s signature platforms. But there was little discussion of any political controversies Tuesday as more than 500 people from 65 countries were sworn in as U...
BREAKING: 12-year-old boy who’d been sick dies near West Palm
BREAKING: 12-year-old boy who’d been sick dies near West Palm

A 12-year-old boy who had been sick died Tuesday, the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office said. Authorities were called to a home at about 12:30 p.m. near the intersection of Southern Boulevard and South Military Trail. The boy was dead at the home, sheriff’s authorities said. No foul play is suspected. An autopsy will be done to determine...
NEW: Drunken Florida man caught sleeping in Walmart’s infant department 
NEW: Drunken Florida man caught sleeping in Walmart’s infant department 

A drunken Florida man was arrested at a Vero Beach Walmart last weekend after officials said he fell asleep in the infant department.  Jeremy Michael Avant, 37, of Sebastian, was at the store on Jan. 19 when employees repeatedly asked him to leave, according to an Indian River County Sheriff’s Office report obtained by Sebastian...
Police plan to ramp up security at Jackson Browne concert in Florida after threat
Police plan to ramp up security at Jackson Browne concert in Florida after threat

There will be increased security during singer-songwriter Jackson Browne’s concert Tuesday evening at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts after a threat was made at a northwest Indiana church known for its progressive stands on racial and social justice issues, the Orlando Police Department said. Police said banners with racist...
UPDATE: All lanes reopen on northbound I-95 in Delray Beach
UPDATE: All lanes reopen on northbound I-95 in Delray Beach

Update 1:40 p.m.: All northbound lanes near Atlantic Avenue have been cleared, FHP reports. Update 1:25 p.m.: A pickup pulling a trailer overturned near Atlantic Avenue, Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Alvaro Feola said. There were no reports of injuries. Currently, three northbound lanes are blocked near the crash scene. Motorists should expect...
More Stories