You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myPalmBeachPost.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myPalmBeachPost.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myPalmBeachPost.com.

Trial set in 2015 alleged hate-crime murder of Guatemalan teen


A trio of teens accused of a hate-motivated beating death of an 18-year-old Guatemalan immigrant probably will stand trial in November.

A Palm Beach County judge on Tuesday set a Nov. 27 trial date for brothers David and Jessie Harris and Austin Taggart, charged with robbery and murder in the 2015 death of Onesimo Marcelino Lopez-Ramos, who police discovered unconscious exactly two years ago Tuesday while investigating a report of a fight in the 300 block of Fourth Street, near Hepburn Avenue in the Townsite section of Jupiter.

Lopez-Ramos, 18, never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead at the scene. Prosecutors believe the teens targeted him because of his ethnicity.

In a hearing in the case Tuesday, attorneys on both sides of the case told Circuit Judge Samantha Schosberg Feuer they expected to finish witness interviews over the summer. Defense attorneys also said that at some point they will likely request that the three men face trial separately.

Feuer, in the meantime, on Tuesday set a final pretrial hearing in the case for Oct. 27.

At the time of his death, Lopez-Ramos had dropped out of Jupiter High School in order to work full-time to support relatives back in Guatemala.

An aspiring chef, Lopez-Ramos was on his way home from work at an Italian restaurant when he was attacked. Investigators say he died from blunt force head trauma.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Cerabino: There’s sanctuary in ruling for West Palm Beach
Cerabino: There’s sanctuary in ruling for West Palm Beach

It’s interesting to contrast how two South Florida communities reacted to the threat of losing federal dollars over their handling of undocumented residents. When President Donald Trump signed an executive order in January that called for stripping federal funding to any so-called “sanctuary city,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez...
Palm Beach socialite’s daughter jailed, accused of stealing from her
Palm Beach socialite’s daughter jailed, accused of stealing from her

When a judge found Palm Beach socialite Mary Montgomery incapacitated because of dementia last year, an inventory of her Addison Mizner-designed split-level mansion commenced. Among the riches documented by the guardian and the trustees: a Rolls-Royce, a Bentley, $5.54 million in jewelry, $1.34 million in silverware and about $81,000 worth of fine...
JUST IN: Lake Worth man’s death in January was homicide, PBSO says
JUST IN: Lake Worth man’s death in January was homicide, PBSO says

The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday released the first information about a January murder. The sheriff’s office previously said a man was shot with an unknown condition. Scott R. Osterman, 49, was fatally shot with a handgun Jan. 8, a heavily redacted report shows. Because the incident remains under investigation, only half...
IN BOYNTON: James Patterson says he’s writing book on Aaron Hernandez
IN BOYNTON: James Patterson says he’s writing book on Aaron Hernandez

Best-selling author James Patterson is writing a book about Aaron Hernandez, the former NFL and University of Florida standout who authorities say this month committed suicide while serving time in prison for murder. Patterson made the announcement Wednesday while visiting Congress Middle School in Boynton Beach. He did not say what the title will...
Florida elementary school janitor allegedly sexted 15-year-old boy
Florida elementary school janitor allegedly sexted 15-year-old boy

A Florida elementary school janitor has been suspended after allegedly exchanging explicit photos and texts with a 15-year-old boy, deputies said.  Matthew Benedict, 29, of Lake County reportedly gave the teen a cellphone and sexted him, WESH reported.  Even though Benedict worked in the school district, detectives said, that’s...
More Stories